real time web analytics
Report - - Loxley anti-aircraft post, Sheffield. May 2014 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Loxley anti-aircraft post, Sheffield. May 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Meersbrook

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Loxley anti-aicraft post is little known and there is very little information about it.

One of several bunkers:
O2mWYto.jpg
9o299uc.jpg

qxFn1dG.jpg

Narrow gauge locomotive part and track:
ZCtYPcw.jpg

CCLrRS7.jpg

Range finder station:
XgDb155.jpg

Part of the officers' comms room retaining wall:
W8mD8MW.jpg

Balloon tethering cable:
YjT5v2Q.jpg

Officers' comms room and complex:
W6yFmGj.jpg

2iQDcVw.jpg
3Ucy8NS.jpg

canute

货车司机和国王
28DL Full Member
Looks pretty atmospheric

Found this
Throughout the war, I lived in the Loxley Valley, and there was a gun site on Wood Lane, Stannington. Several planes were shot down by that gun site during the Sheffield Blitz. The nearest came down at Rod Moor, but it only killed a sheep! Whenever a plane was hit, the pilot used to jettison the bombs before it went down. One went into the corner of Damflask Reservoir, one landed in a farm-yard and one landed on Red Moor.
Described elsewhere as a HAA battery with 4 x 4.5 inch guns

northernexploror

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
hi all I was the one who showed people around site and I do guided tours.information on photos was supplied by myself and I got it direct from an air raid warden who worked near site.site will be updated with own photos soon.
there is evidence of use 1939_1946 and partly pulled down 1976.feel free contact me if want a tour

Meersbrook

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
northernexploror was our excellent guide with in depth knowledge of the site. It was a pleasure to discover this location and get explanation of what each building ruin was.

northernexploror

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I will be taking meersbrook member to.many more sites as I enjoy seeing the photography he creates from natural light.im sure you will all agree great photos and be more to follow

tykeo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
@ northernexplorer. hi, i would like to go on one of your tours around this site,but cant contact you.

H

headfuckd

hahaha hahaha couldn't stop laughing reading this its nothing to do with AA guns its a mine I have been here and explored it and in the tunnel is some very sketchy cave ins also done the air raid shelter
if anyone wants to know about this place let me know I actually know the history of it

H

headfuckd

@ northernexplorer. hi, i would like to go on one of your tours around this site,but cant contact you.
I can give ya a tour and tell you the truth about the place it has nothing to do with the war tho unless they used housebricks as ammunition

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
it has nothing to do with the war

Hahaha. I couldn't stop laughing reading this. It has plenty to do with the war. China clay was essential for making hollow refractories, used in the production of steel. I'm sure you'll agree that steel was fairly crucial during the war? 95% of all refractories came from the Loxley valley. The AA post was constructed next to the mine to protect it from enemy attack. Several planes were shot down from here during the Sheffield blitz.

H

headfuckd

Hahaha. I couldn't stop laughing reading this. It has plenty to do with the war. China clay was essential for making hollow refractories, used in the production of steel. I'm sure you'll agree that steel was fairly crucial during the war? 95% of all refractories came from the Loxley valley. The AA post was constructed next to the mine to protect it from enemy attack. Several planes were shot down from here during the Sheffield blitz.
Your laughing is due to ignorance and lack of intelligence the clay mine is nothing todo with the war and was there since Victorian times with bits added at later dates if you want to see Loxley AA emplacement you will need a shovel I know exactly where it is and this is not it I maybe don't post on here to get respect of tourists but I know my local history and don't make comment on things I have no clue about

H

headfuckd

Sounds good when are you available :)
busy Monday Tuesday Friday gotta pay bills n buy buds but rest of days im free if you wanna see the AA bring a shovel n some food n will be an earlyish thing there is a few shafts I can show you also the one of one air raid shelters in them woods not 1 of many bunkers but hey what do I know they made bullets out of concrete there and never used the refractory at totley because it was out the fuckin way where germans wouldn't see it