real time web analytics
Report - - Luster Sanitorium, Norway October 2017 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Luster Sanitorium, Norway October 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

SmellTheDecay

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hello,

This is my very first post here, yes i'm a newbie (please be kind). Although I've been an active urban explorer for many years now, I've decided to join in the wonderful community here. I had been to visit my partner in Norway and she told me about this place so decided to go for an explore. Sadly I didn't get to venture the entire site as an unfriendly Norwegian man shouted at us so we left. I plan on visiting again this year, but won't chose the middle of the day to explore.

I don't know a great deal about this place so had a little look on Wikipedia and there wasn't much information there either.....

In 1896, the board of St. Jørgens Hospital in Bergen decided to build a hospital for "poor corrosion in the rock of Bergen". Harastølen was opened on November 2, 1902 , under the name "Luster Sanatorium". Building costs were NOK 777,000 , which was a considerable sum at that time. At the opening the sanatorium had 96 beds. In 1924 , the capacity was extended to 120 beds, in 1950 to 150. The building is about 5000 m2

It is located in the mountainside, 500 meters above sea level, above Luster. One reason for the location was the favorable climate in the Lustrafjord . In addition, early warning of the importance of hydroelectric power , and in this regard, Luster sanatorium had one of the first private water turbines in Norway.

From the steamship in Luster there was an electric cableway up to the sanatorium. A seven kilometer road with thirteen hairpin wings also leads up to Harastølen. The cable car was in operation until the early 1990s. Due to its location and infection, there was a separate community on Harastølen, and the institution was self-sufficient with water from turbine. Eventually, residential houses, sister houses for the employees, two family houses for firemen and gardeners, chapel with shelters, post office, laundry, ice house and stables. Jacob Kjøde and other rich people from Bergen donated a separate film showcase to the institution in 1937 , and it was Kinocveld once a week. The library had 17,000 titles. The institution also had its own pig farm, and when the diet meant that the patients gained weight, make sure that the pigs had an extra layer of spikes.

Just after World War II , the drug came streptomycin, which practically eliminated tuberculosis , and the basis for the operation disappeared. The building was then used as a psychiatric hospital. From 1991 , Harastølen remained empty as former buildings from power development were empty in Gaupne, and these became new premises for psychiatric hospitals.

Now after a painful copy and paste, here's a few photos that I did manage to take.

598A2577-5.jpg
598A2581-4.jpg
598A2575-3.jpg
598A2573-4.jpg
598A2572-3.jpg
598A2571-2.jpg
598A2570-3.jpg
598A2566-2.jpg
598A2565-3.jpg
598A2564-2.jpg
598A2563-3.jpg
598A2562-3.jpg

princethorpe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
love the radios. The top one is a Grundig with the fantastic "tuning eye" just to the right of the left control knob. My sister has got one similar

SmellTheDecay

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Some nice shots there, the place has not changed much in the 3 years since I went.
There were a lot of outbuildings and houses that looked abandoned as well, did you manage to look at those? Thanks for the comment. I'm hoping to do some more Norway exploring this year.

ZerO81

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
There were a lot of outbuildings and houses that looked abandoned as well, did you manage to look at those? Thanks for the comment. I'm hoping to do some more Norway exploring this year.

Yeah, we spent New Year there a few years back and saw pretty much all of it.