real time web analytics
Report - - Luton ABC - May 2014 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Luton ABC - May 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Els

Obsessed with BS7671
Regular User
Here's one from a while back. Unfortunately this place has been largely fcuked over so it's a bit derpy inside with all of the actual cinema spaces being pretty much striped out back to the bare earth on the floors so I didn't take any pictures of them. Or maybe I didn't have a decent torch. One or the other, can't remember. One thing I DO remember though, and that was the smell. Yoiks! The projection galleries still had a fair amount of ancient electrical equipment knocking about which I always enjoy, being a bit of a sparks on the side. The back staircases and steel windows are nice and there are still a bits of the original plasterwork about if you dig deep enough. Worth a trip if your in the area.

The 1,892 seat Savoy Cinema opened on George Street (a main town centre thoroughfare) on 17 October 1938. It was designed by Associated British Cinemas(ABC) in-house architect William R. Glen and immediately assumed the leading position in the ABC cinemas in town (the Empire Cinema closed two days earlier, but the Alma Cinema and Union Cinema continued for many years).

It closed in April 1971 for tripling and emerged as a three screen complex in September 1971. There were 632 seats in Screen 1 (former circle) and 458 and 272 in screens 2 & 3 (former stalls).

It was renamed Cannon in April 1986. When a new 10-screen Cineworld multiplex opened just a short walk down the street in 1998, the Cannon continued for another two years, finally closing in November 2000. It has lain empty since, despite several plans to establish an arts centre / theatre in the building.

1_zpsnuc65s9k.jpg

2_zpsqtaeyned.jpg

3_zpszcq0sukr.jpg

4_zpsdoigjikb.jpg

5_zpseinokedj.jpg

6_zpsrtigoj80.jpg

7_zps1g5vj9o7.jpg

8_zpsybkdepl5.jpg

9_zps6cjdtluc.jpg

10_zpsows46zpx.jpg

11_zpsuxlogk5g.jpg

12_zpsdpdgfjj3.jpg

13_zpskyowxhb4.jpg

16_zps272dsh4o.jpg

15_zpsovm08ghh.jpg

Rik UE

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
You actually made that place look pretty good! which I thought was impossible lol :)

Nice photographs.

Reactions: Els

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
Considering it's not been used since 2000 its in pretty good condition. :)

I do like the last picture, I wouldn't be able to resist spelling out rude words. Haha

Reactions: Els

Norwood

28DL Member
28DL Member
found this on the net! thought someone maybe interested - a student film made in 2000 about the cinema, some good inside shots or what it used to be like.