real time web analytics
Report (Permission Visit) - Lydbrook Iron Mine, FoD - Jan 2017 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report (Permission Visit) Lydbrook Iron Mine, FoD - Jan 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
History

None I can find on the actual mine itself, but its late and my google fu is weak... but, here's a general history of mining in the area.

The ore deposits were exploited by the Romans, and supplied local ironworkers by the later 11th century. Ore was extracted from the limestone outcrops by surface workings, known locally as scowles. From the late 16th century Forest ore and cinders supplied blast furnaces into Herefordshire and Monmouthshire. In the 18th century furnaces near the Forest depended increasingly on ore from Lancashire and regular ore mining in the Dean ceased. It was briefly revived in the mid 19th century to supply local ironworks. But water was a constant problem and accessible deposits of ore were mostly exhausted by the early 20th century. A few ore mines were reopened during the First World War but ore mining finally ended soon after the Second World War.

The Visit

GSS club trip to a rather small but very pretty iron mine, not many big chambers; well, none at all actually but some really photogenic tunnels and a small 'lake' if you want to use hyperbole...

The Pics

Couple of duplicates but I thought the different lighting effects was good enough to include them.

CmjK3iw.jpg

TABXVoK.jpg

regM7FD.jpg

T4FGBRu.jpg

yhZh7im.jpg

UGJo4Wh.jpg

vm6Ldoz.jpg

8Vx4ZkY.jpg

BWgPnmU.jpg

CLcj6NO.jpg

xGchMzj.jpg

oPKakyY.jpg

0v1iBsP.jpg

uaDKCQ4.jpg

6NNVLgF.jpg

Thanks for looking :thumb

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Decent set of snaps there. Favourite is the 6th one down with the back lighting.