real time web analytics
Report - - Lymm Dam Air Raid Shelter - February 2017 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Lymm Dam Air Raid Shelter - February 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Lissyfit

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
As traditional in Cheshire with its soft sandstone, older cave system were often converted to shelters during the war like the ones in Stockport.

I haven't been able to find out much history about this small shelter but apparently beyond the concrete cap at the end the is another chamber and a tunnel that leads to the church yard but this was blocked off to prevent the road from becoming unstable.

02c12ce.jpg

03d3e8a.jpg

04cbf0d.jpg

05d2e2c.jpg

06c9c37.jpg

070923b.jpg

081d8f3.jpg

0932d01.jpg

109c428.jpg

116f40b.jpg

122423b.jpg

137f4e5.jpg

1445acd.jpg

156a0da.jpg

blitzd

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
As traditional in Cheshire with its soft sandstone, older cave system were often converted to shelters during the war like the ones in Stockport.

I haven't been able to find out much history about this small shelter but apparently beyond the concrete cap at the end the is another chamber and a tunnel that leads to the church yard but this was blocked off to prevent the road from becoming unstable.

02c12ce.jpg

03d3e8a.jpg

04cbf0d.jpg

05d2e2c.jpg

06c9c37.jpg

070923b.jpg

081d8f3.jpg

0932d01.jpg

109c428.jpg

116f40b.jpg

122423b.jpg

137f4e5.jpg

1445acd.jpg

156a0da.jpg
Amazing to see this place again, I went here in around 2010.

Lissyfit

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I couldn't find anything newer than 2010 online anywhere which is kind of what inspired the visit. That and the fact it's really nearby.

tigger

mog
Regular User
The concrete was put in during road strengthening work in the 1970s (should be possible to find out exactly when by looking through the LUDC minutes). I don't recall there being much more than the chamber there before the concrete was poured but we had other more interesting playgrounds nearby. It was also around this time that they started the cycle of bricking the two entrances up.
The likelyhood of a tunnel to St Mary's is very slim - why would quarry workers need the tunnel (or why would the church - neither rectory was in that direction and if it was just to get away from the church then two other shorter routes exist). It would also have to go under the lake.

Balstor

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The concrete was put in during road strengthening work in the 1970s (should be possible to find out exactly when by looking through the LUDC minutes). I don't recall there being much more than the chamber there before the concrete was poured but we had other more interesting playgrounds nearby. It was also around this time that they started the cycle of bricking the two entrances up.
The likelyhood of a tunnel to St Mary's is very slim - why would quarry workers need the tunnel (or why would the church - neither rectory was in that direction and if it was just to get away from the church then two other shorter routes exist). It would also have to go under the lake.
Do you know anything about the Arch at the side of Lymm dam? I'm guessing it's a blocked up tunnel as the back of it is a serious concrete job, pretty unnecessary compared to the stone block side walls.

tigger

mog
Regular User
Which arch?
One doorway to Baycliff, one remains of the old outfall from Kay Lane brook, two remains of boathouses from Beechwood, two remains of field drains......

Balstor

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Which arch?
One doorway to Baycliff, one remains of the old outfall from Kay Lane brook, two remains of boathouses from Beechwood, two remains of field drains......
Not sure out of those. It's on the eastern side near the wishing bridge. I will get a photo as I can't find any online!?

tigger

mog
Regular User
Not sure out of those. It's on the eastern side near the wishing bridge. I will get a photo as I can't find any online!?

'wishing bridge' - got to have been named by one of the pretentious twonks the town is now full of (or some plonker from Wallyton Borough Council when they added the metal railings).
Fairly sure you will mean the old outlet from Kay Lane brook.

Balstor

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
'wishing bridge' - got to have been named by one of the pretentious twonks the town is now full of (or some plonker from Wallyton Borough Council when they added the metal railings).
Yeah very cliched haha. There is an outlet about 3 metres away from it. I ll get a photo this week. It's a bit odd that I can't find anything online, not even photos🤔

Balstor

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member