Web
Analytics
Lead or Rumour info - - M.O.D Christchurch/Bournemouth | Leads, Rumours and News... | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Lead or Rumour info - M.O.D Christchurch/Bournemouth

Pacman

28DL Member
28DL Member
I saw this in the Echo this morning, The site has been abandoned for some time now, a Bournemouth business enterprise group (Quantum) have bought the land and plan to redevlop onto it. The site is right next to the river, (iford) and after a quick drive past, no security. :thumb

Any explorers in the Bournemouth/Poole and surrounding areas feel like giving it a go? email me, a few of us are making plans for soon,

My email is in my signature and more details here from the echo:

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/ne...ansform_derelict_Christchurch_riverside_site/

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Interesting, thanks. It also mentioned "Beagle Aircraft site on Stoney Lane opposite the Honda dealership" in the comments.

pauln

too old to be reckless
28DL Full Member
Looks like there are two big cranes on site but no sign of a railway line (i.e. to move containers from road to rail ?)

From a local press report it looks like this place nearby is a BAE site which is being run down. I don't know the area that well so I could be wrong.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Grange+Road,+Christchurch&hl=en&ll=50.740176,-1.734552&spn=0.003829,0.011362&sll=50.737243,-1.790246&sspn=0.00383,0.011362&vpsrc=6&hnear=Grange+Rd,+Christchurch,+Dorset+BH23,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=17

bish

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This site was used for the construction & maintainance of pontoon bridges & bridge laying vehicles (converted tanks) many years ago, also used to be a lot of army vehicles stored/maintained? here. I think it was a branch of the R.E.M.E. Pretty sure there used to be a rail siding into there, but istr it was removed in the 1970s.

pauln

too old to be reckless
28DL Full Member
This site was used for the construction & maintainance of pontoon bridges & bridge laying vehicles (converted tanks) many years ago, also used to be a lot of army vehicles stored/maintained? here. I think it was a branch of the R.E.M.E. Pretty sure there used to be a rail siding into there, but istr it was removed in the 1970s.
That makes sense - you can see where the rail line might have come off the main line and also across the river there are a few bits of metal that look like pontoons.

bish

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
yea, memories are a bit foggy now, it was best part of 40yrs ago :eek:
lots more interesting stuff about then, lots of old brickworks in Dorset,also used to explore the underground clay mines in Purbeck :thumb

Chaos

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I went and had a quick look at both these sites today while I was in the area visiting a friend.

MOD place - Very very good fencing. New Palisades fencing around the outer perimeter with razor wire all the way along the top, no breaks anywhere.

If you can get over that, there's another fence about 10 feet away which also looks quite new, this one is chain-link with razor wire along the top the entire length of the fence. There's very new CCTV warnings all over the fence, weather it's a bluff or not, who knows but I couldn't see much further into the site. Everything looked very secure though.

Beagle Aircraft - 6ft palisades fencing around the perimeter but a few areas look easy to get over. However... the building has lights on inside, there were cars parked out the front inside the grounds and you could clearly hear the hum of a generator or something funning in an adjoining building. Definitely something going on in there and this was late (5pm) on a Sunday!!

Ordnance

It's what remains of the Military Experimental Establishment (MEXE) where the WW2 Bailey Bridge (hence why its on Bailey Drive) was developed as well as the post war MEXE-Float Pontoon system still in use by the army, which merged with the Fighting Vehicles Research and Development Establishment (FVRDE) at Chertsey in 1970 to form the Military Vehicles Experimental Establishment (MVEE) which closed in 1994 when taken over by QinetiQ . The site indeed did have its own railway siding which were lifted years ago. Christchurch Retail Park was built on the rest of it!

Last edited:

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin