real time web analytics
Report - - Mackenzie King Ltd Bottle Top Factory, Newlyn, Cornwall - May 2019 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Mackenzie King Ltd Bottle Top Factory, Newlyn, Cornwall - May 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Terminal Decline

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Despite being a member on this site for over a year now and with the exception of my big report on the china clay industry, I have so far failed to make any reports of the many sites I have visited in the county I have lived in for most of my life

History
The building first appears on the 1908 Ordnance Survey map, labelled as a drill hall. This building later became the main production area of the factory and is now engulfed by later extensions.
The site primarily manufactured bottle tops for the cosmetic industry for many well-known brands for over 40 years, before closing in August 2006. There are plans to convert the site into a creative industry studio complex, launched early this year.

The explore
Visited with prettyvacant on a great trip around a fair bit of the South West which I hadn't managed to get to by bicycle or public transport. I had seen the site appear on a news article early in the year and it look very promising. From the outside the buildings are very unassuming and I doubt I'd ever have bothered with, had I not seen what was hiding away inside. Indeed, upon entering it appeared to just be a soggy derp, but as I wandered around, I grew in-love with the place. Although the site is relatively small and most of the machinery isn't particularly old, there are few industrial around where everything has been dropped down at closure and just left undisturbed for 13 years. The warehouse was still filled with boxes of perfume bottle tops and the stores are still filled with a huge range of attachments and parts for the machinery, only disturbed by nature. I have probably visited hundreds of abandoned buildings in Cornwall, though the vast majority are of little merit in themselves. This is certainly in the top 5.

_DSC6113 3.jpg

Exterior, not giving much away

_DSC5952 3.jpg

Decay has turned the ceiling panels to a thick mud, covering much of the floor. It gets better!

_DSC5982 3.jpg

_DSC5954 3.jpg

Conveyor leading up to the warehouse

_DSC5955 3.jpg

Warehouse still filled with boxes of bottle tops

_DSC5969 3.jpg

_DSC5998 3.jpg

Main production area, once the drill hall

_DSC5999 3.jpg

_DSC6006 3.jpg

_DSC6009 3.jpg

_DSC6055 3.jpg

_DSC6027 3.jpg

_DSC6028 3.jpg

_DSC6042 3.jpg

_DSC6049 3.jpg

_DSC5995 3.jpg

Various 50mm shots:

_DSC6088 3.jpg

_DSC6087 3.jpg

_DSC6100 3.jpg

_DSC6072 3.jpg

_DSC6109 3.jpg

_DSC6111 3.jpg

_DSC6078 3.jpg

_DSC6075 3.jpg

_DSC6067 3.jpg

_DSC6090 3.jpg

_DSC6092 3.jpg

_DSC6093 3.jpg

_DSC6016 3.jpg

_DSC6014 3.jpg

Thank you and good night!

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
I remember when that news article appeared and it instantly went to the top of my list to see, but it's so far away from me and out in the middle of nowhere I fear I've missed the boat!

Terminal Decline

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I remember when that news article appeared and it instantly went to the top of my list to see, but it's so far away from me and out in the middle of nowhere I fear I've missed the boat!
Here's the planning application for the conversion of the site:

Terminal Decline

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Much more to see down there?
A few good chapels though I haven't got in most of them yet. Several recently closed sites I haven't had any luck with or need to revisit before getting a report up. Obviously there's the China clay industry but I've already briefly covered most of the best bits, but I'll get a few reports up on individual bits at some point. I've got loads of small potential sites plotted, found on old maps. Most of which tend to be insignificant or destroyed but every now and again you find a nice waterwheel or something interesting.

Who has read this thread (Total: 338) View details