real time web analytics
Report - - MAENOFFEREN SLATE MINE, BLAENAU FFESTINIOG - July 2019 | Mines and Quarries | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - MAENOFFEREN SLATE MINE, BLAENAU FFESTINIOG - July 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

JohnSmith

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Is that because of the later uptopping works?
No.

This map was made in a bit of a rush and it only documents one vein. In fact there are 2, possibly 3, veins which overlap and can only be traversed between in around 4 or 5 places. If you wander into one of those veins and head east or west, you'll never reach any of the inclines like the map suggests, because it only shows the main vein - and even that has quite a few inaccuracies.

I have mapped nearly the entire place along with the other veins, but it is not something that I can share.

Just take my word for it that the map is not right so be wary.

Reactions: GG

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
TBF it does say on the map that its not to be trusted.

maptext.jpg

Xan_Asmodi

Cave Monster
28DL Full Member
No.

This map was made in a bit of a rush and it only documents one vein. In fact there are 2, possibly 3, veins which overlap and can only be traversed between in around 4 or 5 places. If you wander into one of those veins and head east or west, you'll never reach any of the inclines like the map suggests, because it only shows the main vein - and even that has quite a few inaccuracies.

I have mapped nearly the entire place along with the other veins, but it is not something that I can share.

That's a shame. That would be awesome information to have. Are there any "correct channels" for accessing this information? I know I read about abandonment plans(?) many years ago when I was much more active, but didn't go down that avenue.

inbeat

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I would just add that if I were down mine workings that I was unfamiliar with, I would want a buddy that I knew and trusted - simple risk analysis. Forget Health and safety minutiae, but remember to ensure that your future surprises are happy ones.

JohnSmith

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That's a shame. That would be awesome information to have. Are there any "correct channels" for accessing this information? I know I read about abandonment plans(?) many years ago when I was much more active, but didn't go down that avenue.

No idea. I only came across the previously posted map several years ago. I went on trips there with the map and realised that it was horribly wrong, so I spent every trip there for the last 2 years correcting and adding to the map. Still quite a bit to be done.

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
No idea. I only came across the previously posted map several years ago. I went on trips there with the map and realised that it was horribly wrong, so I spent every trip there for the last 2 years correcting and adding to the map. Still quite a bit to be done.
I've come across errors in the map of Cults limestone mine, some of the mapping simply doesn't correspond to what you find when you're there.

ChristopherBones

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
No.

It’s the middle vein that “rough map.” It’s not bad effort tho, cos it’s extremely difficult mapping somewhere shich is 3D and loads of levels to a 2d mapI’ve got original maps for mine (perks of having dad who actually worked there)

ChristopherBones

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It’s the middle vein that “rough map.” It’s not bad effort tho, cos it’s extremely difficult mapping somewhere shich is 3D and loads of levels to a 2d mapI’ve got original maps for mine (perks of having dad who actually worked there)
Sorry “north” vein not middle.

ChristopherBones

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Heres a map so you don't get lost ;)

Maenofferen.png

I know the quality is awful, I can just about read my full-res picture.
That’s not a map!! This is a map lol . Got the proper mine survey from 1900-1991

Attachments

• A8C91D82-32A6-48A5-9B01-459E058D88BF.jpeg
    A8C91D82-32A6-48A5-9B01-459E058D88BF.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 177
  • F30C8DD6-1FE0-4809-BDEB-ED8E58FAF17C.jpeg
    F30C8DD6-1FE0-4809-BDEB-ED8E58FAF17C.jpeg
    115.7 KB · Views: 133
  • 5260DFAA-8934-4470-807C-63264D1C511B.jpeg
    5260DFAA-8934-4470-807C-63264D1C511B.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 158

Kidney

Weirdy Beardy
28DL Full Member
Agree the coloured plan isnt accurate but it isnt supposed to be. I've only ever used it as a general guide. It's not a hard mine to traverse, OK you get a few moments where you are like "OK I'm lost".

Always find this one strange, takes hours to navigate to the bottom but always seem to find my way out in half hour

Reactions: GG

carpet

28DL Member
28DL Member
Heres a map so you don't get lost ;)

Maenofferen.png

I know the quality is awful, I can just about read my full-res picture.
I know this is an old post, but where did you find the full res map? Ive spent a fair bit of time down the mine cos of how close i live but never managed to find a map of it other than this low res image youve put here

Who has read this thread (Total: 391) View details