real time web analytics
Report - - MAENOFFEREN SLATE MINE - FFESTINIOG NORTH WALES | Mines and Quarries | Page 4 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

caixdixon

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Make sure you have a spare torch and gloves are useful as well. Also don't forget a tripod
Ye spare torch and gloves would be useful. I'll be making do with my phone for photos tho lol need to get a new camera ordered, next month fingers crossed

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User
Ye spare torch and gloves would be useful. I'll be making do with my phone for photos tho lol need to get a new camera ordered, next month fingers crossed

You will probably struggle with taking photos of the big chambers but you should be alright with the smaller items of interest.

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User
The biggest mine Ive been in was Cwmorthin and we spent 5 or 6 hours. This is all we covered in that time.

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
All depends on if your cracking on strolling taking photos ,then if you use a phone or a camera , me personally I have started not to bother with pictures as much only if it’s something truly special or interesting, it’s always about having fun on the explore it’s self, also if you are not use to doing mines you will be taking hundreds of photos and not moving very fast at all , if your with people who are use to it you will be knackered by a few hours in their especially if your not use to hills just getting to the addit is a long old walk lol , it’s always easy going down a slate mine hard work getting back up !
Also take enough drinks and lunch for a good long walk !!

Down and beyond

Regular User
Be interesting if you got time also for the first strange mine monk to look over that backfill section to see if you entered at the top of a hudge slope in the main mine monk if you get time and head that way ? I remember we spoke about it

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User
It's nice sometimes to travel light once you've visited a few times.

I'm heading to Wales tommorow and Wednesday and Ive just seen the weather report! 96% chance of rain tommorow - might head to Parc lead mine instead of surface stuff, at least it's only a 10 min walk.

monk

mature
28DL Full Member
It's nice sometimes to travel light once you've visited a few times.

I'm heading to Wales tommorow and Wednesday and Ive just seen the weather report! 96% chance of rain tommorow - might head to Parc lead mine instead of surface stuff, at least it's only a 10 min walk.

Ive learnt that weather reports mean nothing here, one village it can be pouring down the next village dry.

caixdixon

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ive learnt that weather reports mean nothing here, one village it can be pouring down the next village dry.
Ye the weather reports in blaenau are just ridiculous what day you thinking of going ?

Down and beyond

Regular User
I couldn’t of choose a better day when I went with ya mate , I enjoyed getting lost in the fog and then coming out for a clear view as far as the eye can see !

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User
I've been up Cwmorthin for the past few hours and the weathers holding put very well, got back to the car bone dry. Mot going to venture too far now rather not get stuck on a mountainside in the deluge.

Successful recon trip though.

monk

mature
28DL Full Member
I couldn’t of choose a better day when I went with ya mate , I enjoyed getting lost in the fog and then coming out for a clear view as far as the eye can see !

Was a good day that, was really confusing as they've changed the road layout up though lol.

Learnt my lesson up there in the fog, we came out into heavy fog and darkness a while back, it took us ages to find our way down.

Handy tip, a old £10 yellow torch is the way to go in the fog, anything else is completely usless, the expensive torches were worthless at that point of time.

Kidney

Weirdy Beardy
28DL Full Member
It’s a great mine I loved being their well worth it ! My favourite part at the lowest level go along to left and then right into the old old section

What a place ! Monk is the man to go with we had a cracking time ah mate ! I remember racing out up that main shaft lol
Is that the section marked in red on the map left of the main incline? That's the only bit I have left to do. Spent around 50 hours in there over three trips. Find it so peaceful down there

Who has read this thread (Total: 311) View details