real time web analytics
Report - - MAENOFFEREN SLATE MINE - FFESTINIOG NORTH WALES | Mines and Quarries | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nice 1st report. Good shots there. Welcome to the world of posting in 28dl, hope to see more from you. :thumb

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User
Maenofferen isn't somewhere you want to go if your familiar with slate mines. I've never been despite going to Blaenau 20 odd times - The closest I got was a walk up to the quarry bit where the big dump trucks are.

Make sure you have a tripod with you though to get some decent pictures.

caixdixon

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Maenofferen isn't somewhere you want to go if your familiar with slate mines. I've never been despite going to Blaenau 20 odd times - The closest I got was a walk up to the quarry bit where the big dump trucks are.

Make sure you have a tripod with you though to get some decent pictures.
Why isn't it somewhere you would want to visit?

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
Why isn't it somewhere you would want to visit?
No mate on my visit with monk we spent a hole day in their still finding new parts their are lots of cut of parts that are hard to access false floors loads of 100ft + drops etc make sure you go with people that have been and understand the risks etc

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User
The place is miles and miles of chambers and tunnels which look very similar. The first mine I did solo was Rhosydd on the other side of town which is tiny by comparison and it still took me 3 visits to find one of the inclines, it is however, a fairly easy mine to navigate.

Just to put it in perspective Oakeley across town which was once the largest underground slate mine in the world had over 50 miles of underground tramway.

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
I'm not far from you, next time I go I'll drop you a message if you want a look.

I've you've opened up your borders I'll pop along too. There are still some bits in there I would like to see.

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
It’s a great mine I loved being their well worth it ! My favourite part at the lowest level go along to left and then right into the old old section

What a place ! Monk is the man to go with we had a cracking time ah mate ! I remember racing out up that main shaft lol

Last edited:

Who has read this thread (Total: 311) View details