real time web analytics
Question - - Maglite/torch help | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Maglite/torch help

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Status
Not open for further replies.

slayaaaa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi, so I bought a Maglite for a really cheap price a while back and after getting batteries etc. the light seems to be very dim, bear in mind these are brand new batteries from Duracell. I've used it a few times and even as it was it did a really good job in the pitch black (especially in Severalls service tunnels!), but I've seen other Maglites that have a much stronger beam and are a lot more powerful.

The torch also doesn't have any kind of lens or glass in front of the bulb, and the bulb is exposed, is this normal? Do I need a new bulb as well? Maybe something LED etc.?

I've done a bit of research but to no avail, I'd appreciate any help/advice given.

Thanks!

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Maglites suck.

There's definitely supposed to be glass in front of the bulb.

I wouldn't spend any money on it, you can get a decent torch for a tenner.

elhomer12

Maglite size T-rex, It's time for urbex!
28DL Full Member
There should be a plastic lens in front of the bulb. Upgrading to LED would be a good idea as well if it's currently got the old incandescent or krypton bulb in.

I decided to upgrade my 2D maglite to LED after exploring an underground reservior where the old bulb was completely useless. I got a 220 lumen XP-G2 LED for it from ebay (cost £12.50) and it's a lot brighter now. I haven't used it for exploring since upgrading though so I can't comment compared to other torches such as the LED lensers, etc..

slayaaaa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Maglites suck.

There's definitely supposed to be glass in front of the bulb.

I wouldn't spend any money on it, you can get a decent torch for a tenner.

Yeah I reckon you're right, any suggestions on anything that'll last me a few years and has a wide beam? Cheers.

slayaaaa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
My Maglite served me well a few years back now, gives off a nice light in drains, I've never been a fan of Lens0r and recently purchased a 7.2 model, unfortunately it got sucked off down the Mid level interceptor last week, I doubt I will by buying another one.

Personally the cheapish Chinese stuff is good enough, plenty of options out there, maybe have a look through some peoples images and ask them what torch they use that is more suited to the type of places you intend to poke about in is probably the best option :thumb

Kickasskev

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The one I gave a link for has 4 different modes I think, High Medium and low, also emergency SOS I prefer to buy the duracell batteries from eBay as they last the longest and shine the brightest, which is normally a good few hours on full beam, low beam I think lasts 8+ hours

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Best price for a P7 + a free P3 was Maplins for ages @£30 last time i looked. The P7 alone was £40 WTF???

The trouble with Chinese Cree"s is the very impressive high Lumen count does not equate to the actual output. There"s a limit to what can come out of a single LED unit, even if you get the new LED Chips.

I always found the main issue was finding reliable 18650 batteries & charger unit that wouldn"t blow up and was reasonably priced. By the time you"ve got the cheap Torch and expensive bits you might as well have bought a decent Lenser or Fenix in the first place.

I"m using this mostly at the minute and it wipes the P7 off the face of the Earth ( and so it should :)at 850 Lumens max or 8500 Chinese Cree Lumens :D

http://ledlenser.co.uk/content/productView.aspx?prodId=73

But each to their own..... more Lumens is always better, but only if it"s usable :)

This was lit with it BTW. The Cinemas in total darkness.

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/91594-Durham-Palladium-Cinema-August-2014

And a YT demo, hope it"s ok i"ve not watched it :)

Bear in mind it does attract Pigeons to your Head/Face when disturbing them at 11pm at night in old Cinemas....so i found out tonight. Bless em :eek:

http://youtu.be/DVxLLW8FfAY

Think this is next :)

http://youtu.be/jqqM_VQRRyg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who has read this thread (Total: 4) View details