real time web analytics
Mail Rail, London 2011/2014 | Noteworthy Reports | Page 3 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Mail Rail, London 2011/2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

siologen

I Go Where The Drains Are
Regular User
Re: Mail Rail, London 2011/2014 (Pic Heavy)

Great to see the entire network documented in one hit and with such clarity. Good work finding your own way in.
Makes me wish i'd gone in both directions instead of just towards Paddington.... And that i'd petitioned harder to the BTP to get my unprocessed film back lol.

Last edited:

pauln

too old to be reckless
28DL Full Member
Re: Mail Rail, London 2011/2014 (Pic Heavy)

Bob on. In fact I'm moved enough to say how much I've genuinely regretted having children/job/SHWMO which prevent me embarking on such epics.

+1 to that.

Kev - masterful stuff. Great write up.

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
Cracking photos and a brilliant write up. Well done for the leg work too.

WillFromTheGreenbelt

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Awesome write up although mount pleasant is a museum now i would like to go but it seems to be open every day apparently to the Postal Museum website.

gatopretorockey

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is an absolutely cracking report; loved every minute and could have read for hours. Thanks for taking the time.

PuppetFinger

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cracking stuff.

Coincidentally, Hidden Britain by Drone with Tony Robinson on More4 2100 this evening had a feature about Mail Rail, with Drone footage from within the tunnels and stations. By and large, the pics on here are better than the Drone footage. What did make it worth a view though was some rare archive footage of the system in operation. The narration suggests it was actually filmed pre the Postal Museum opening. Apologies if its been seen before, but worth looking on catch up if you haven't seen it. Also a feature about RAF Barnham after Mail Rail.

Seffy

SWC
Staff member
Cracking stuff.

Coincidentally, Hidden Britain by Drone with Tony Robinson on More4 2100 this evening had a feature about Mail Rail, with Drone footage from within the tunnels and stations. By and large, the pics on here are better than the Drone footage. What did make it worth a view though was some rare archive footage of the system in operation. The narration suggests it was actually filmed pre the Postal Museum opening. Apologies if its been seen before, but worth looking on catch up if you haven't seen it. Also a feature about RAF Barnham after Mail Rail.

Thanks for the heads up :thumb

PuppetFinger

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I know many of you will likely call sacrilege at me for this, but I recently went to the Postal Museum and went on the Mail Rail ride.

Give Royal Mail and the Postal Museum their due, they have done a good job. The only part you actually get to see is the loops and platforms at Mount Pleasant along with the depot which is now part of the museum, but you do see the start of the other tunnels, and a look down at one of the carriage sidings with stock in. Interestingly they have boarded up the portals to some tunnels and looks like they have installed a new drainage / pumping system in the now live areas. There is an audio visual show as you go, that being 50/50 split about Mail Rail and the post office in general.

But huge respect and kudos to everyone who did explore it, I never realised just how low the tunnels were, and how hot it was down there, even on a day it was only 5 degrees or so above ground.

I failed miserably though as had no camera, and even worse left my phone in a taxi earlier in the day so couldn't get any pictures which I'm seriously pissed off about.

Also, I do think part of opening this up must have been due to the Urb Ex community getting in their, so arguably Urb Ex has preserved and granted access to this for all now. Cheers!

Who has read this thread (Total: 515) View details