real time web analytics
Report - - Main pit, Barnsley - June 2014 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Main pit, Barnsley - June 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Dan Walton

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
BARNSLEY MAIN PIT SITE

JUNE 2014

HAD A TRIP TO MY LOCAL PIT AS I HEARD IT WAS NOW OPEN TO GET INTO,WENT WITH A FRIEND [NON MEMBER] AND FOUND IT OPEN,GOT INSIDE AND ITS PRETTY MUCH PITCH BLACK AS ALL WINDOWS AND DOOR BRICKED UP ,SET ONTO 3 LEVELS WAS GOOD TO EXPLORE FOR A HOUR AND CAN EVEN GET UP ONTO THE TOP OF THE PULLEY WHEEL ON A METAL LADDER,THE SHAFT HAS BEEN FILLED N BUT THE METAL STRUCTURE STILL THERE A FEW HOLES IN THE FLOOR TO WATCH OUT FOR,ANY WAY HERE ARE A FEW PICS I TOOK HOPE U ENJOY .

INFO FROM WIKI -

The Oaks Colliery, which was one of the largest coal mines working the Barnsley area in South Yorkshire Coalfield, mined a seam that was notorious for firedamp. Almost 20 years before, on 5 March 1847, The Oaks colliery suffered its first disaster when a blast killed 73 men and boys. As mine management was aware of firedamp, there were strict rules about the use of safety lamps. A ventilation system was also used to carry any gas that emerged from the seam out of the mine. However the coal in this seam was known to contain methane making it a very dangerous working environment.

On Wednesday 12 December 1866, 340 men and boys were working the day shift. With less than an hour of the shift remaining, a huge explosion ripped through the workings. The force of the blast blew the cage up No. 1 shaft into the headgear, breaking the coupling. The cage was recovered and replaced to enable a party of "pit deputies" (foreman) to descend the pit to see the devastation. At the bottom of the shaft, they found a number of badly burned men who were sent up to the surface. The dead were taken to their homes and the survivors were given medical attention. By midnight, the exhausted rescuers withdrew to continue their work the next day.

The next morning, 27 rescuers went down the pit with Mr Minto, the underviewer, and mining engineer Parkin Jeffcock to inspect the conditions under which they were working. But as Jeffcock finished inspecting the upcast shaft, another huge explosion occurred killing all the rescuers. The blast was powerful enough to rush up all three shafts at the colliery. A third explosion took place a few hours later, again affecting all three shafts.

In total the explosions killed 361 miners and 27 rescuers. Among the many dead were the pit ponies and their boy handlers, who hauled wagon loads of coal from the workings to the mine shaft. They had all been killed in the first explosion.

A thorough investigation into the disaster could not conclusively ascertain what had caused the explosion or what was the source of the first ignition. But some survivors mentioned an exceptionally violent blast just before the main explosion. This may have been caused by the driving of a drift near the main seam, meaning the digging of a new workings may have ignited pockets of firedamp. An initial blast may have caused a chain reaction triggering the firedamp and coal dust explosion that devastated the rest of the pit.

Although the cause was never properly discovered, a further 17 explosions would be recorded in the Oak Colliery's history until it closed in the 1960s.

It was not until 1913 that a memorial was erected to Parkin Jeffcock and the others who died.

The accident remained the worst in British mining history until the Senghenydd Colliery Disaster, in the South Wales coalfield in 1913, which claimed over 400 lives. The Oaks disaster remains the worst in an English coalfield.

DSC_1072_zps5db8354e.jpg

DSC_1059_zps7af9a3c2.jpg

DSC_1065_zpsc01ecad2.jpg

DSC_1044_zpsb1efa151.jpg

DSC_0996_zpsde17995f.jpg

DSC_0994_zps968187ee.jpg

DSC_0983_zpsabc72b8a.jpg

DSC_0975_zpsacee716d.jpg

DSC_0985_zps1d61e0ca.jpg

DSC_0969_zpsb4ab9268.jpg

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Re: Main pit -barnsley-june 2014

Tragic history for this place, shame you didnt get any shots from the top of the headgear if it was accessible...cheers for posting it though Dan.

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Fantastic report. wanted to see is this for a long time, cracking work.

Dan Walton

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

thanks guys really getting used to this now ,the headgear is accessible but i did not have my harness with me as heights I'm trying to overcome lol will be up there this week and will post shots from the top thanks

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User

Dont take any chances mate if you aint comfortable, always better safe than sorry :)

jazzywheelz

Boring Bearded Bastard
28DL Full Member

Sick. I've wanted to get in here for ages. Loving that winding gear :thumb

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice one Dan :thumb

Thanks for posting this, as it's given myself and quite a few others ( hi lads :) an interesting few hours. And I can add the Sunset view from the Head is quite impressive .

Ironically I'd never heard of the Pit or even seen it, with it being shielded from the main road

Those Metal Fairies certainly use big Sledgehammers :)

Dan Walton

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Did u manage to get in alright acid ' lol was shocked when saw the side wall must have been some big ass sledge hammers lol