real time web analytics
Question - - Manchester underground market | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Manchester underground market

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

toby

Armchair warrior
28DL Full Member
Walking in Market Street yesterday, I was suddenly reminded of the underground market opposite the Arndale, which closed in the 90s maybe? I remember going down there shopping, back in the day. I wonder if the space still exists? Can't see anything here on 28. Here's an interesting article with pix from MEN.

cheers!

toby

Armchair warrior
28DL Full Member
Long gone, @Nickindroy has pics

ta Ojay.

webmedia.php

000Mark000

28DL Member
28DL Member
The original section bounded by Brown Street, Norfolk Street, Pall Mall and New Market Lane = Demolished. Now Tesco Metro and Norfolk House.

The extension between Brown Street and Spring Gardens = Demolished. Now Slater Menswear, H+M and others.

The entrance from Market Street = Extant. Below Brown Street. (If you go exploring on yer bike, mind where you park it!)

The stairway down at the junction of Brown Street and Norfolk Street = Who knows!
Obviously the manhole where 'Exploring with Fuckwits' went looking leads to Oldham. So give that one a miss,
But there may be something to find nearby. (The manhole, not Oldham!)

Mono81

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The original section bounded by Brown Street, Norfolk Street, Pall Mall and New Market Lane = Demolished. Now Tesco Metro and Norfolk House.

The extension between Brown Street and Spring Gardens = Demolished. Now Slater Menswear, H+M and others.

The entrance from Market Street = Extant. Below Brown Street. (If you go exploring on yer bike, mind where you park it!)

The stairway down at the junction of Brown Street and Norfolk Street = Who knows!
Obviously the manhole where 'Exploring with Fuckwits' went looking leads to Oldham. So give that one a miss,
But there may be something to find nearby. (The manhole, not Oldham!)
You can still access a small part of this underground market via a manhole close by, although it is a busy area I’ve seen people go down there

Who has read this thread (Total: 330) View details