real time web analytics
Question - - manhole keys? | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - manhole keys?

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

siologen

I Go Where The Drains Are
Regular User
That big drain in Warrington lol, has many easy to lift hinged lids. They arent more than 15kgs n the two sides hinge up away from each other.

Alias

like marmite
28DL Full Member
yeah I have used the B&Q plastic ones for various covers including the one on Bunker and some very heavy drains to good effect.

Alias

like marmite
28DL Full Member
fair enough but most manhole lids I have come accross dont need the heavy duty ones, I own some but barely use ones, sounds like manc has different manhole lids to the ones I have seen.

LittleMike

Do. Find. Drains.
28DL Full Member
I've nearly given myself a hernia lifting some of the Manchester lids. BT have the right idea, you can practically finger pop the things. Too bad there's rarely anything interesting underneath

C

Conchords

Draining doesn't really interest me but Screwfix do some keys for under a fiver, dunno if they're much use though?

Toolstation do them too.

S

soap435

userscott - we're all pretty skint to be honest mate, you might laugh at us getting around a 4 quid purchase but it took us all of 5 minutes digging around in the shed and a quic play with the grinder to get that thing made!
Having seen your comment about sending a lid flying down a shaft and killing someone, thats a good point well made.
I'd like to hear a scare story from someone who has actually done that...

Anyway, if this outing gets us as hooked as you obviously are, we'll definately invest in the proper tools. Until then, my hand made bodge pro 2000 will have to do :D

Guy90

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I've thought of a new idea for this:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y209/kilermanjaro/drain.jpg

let me know if the link doesn't work out for you all, just copy and paste this url to the address bar.

This is basically a bottle jack, with an extra support bar welded in at the top, to hold the drain keys of whatever size. A lot of the mini drain keys are double ended, this would be helpful, for securing each key in place on the rig.

Why do this? Well if your anything like me, the chance of 3 people to help you lift the lid wouldn't be an option- so the bottle jack would be of use, and

this rig would allow you to lift both sides of the drain lid, rather then just the one.
let me know, on any thoughts or idea's you have about this.

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member
Bar would need to be forward of jack to clear lift - Because the jack is trying to lift a weight from below it will just topple forward. I think you would need a plate to stand on to act as a counter balance? then it becomes awkward to carry? Just a thought.

A long bar with L shape and 2 chains for keys, to act as a lever may be a more workable idea? But again not very concealed.

Bunk3r

28DL Memb3r
28DL Full Member
another technique ive used is jiggling. when a cover has been in place ages so is stuck with rust and mud etc, lift the cover slightly (1mmish) the release and repeat in rapid succession. the 'jiggling' soon loosens off any tight spots so it can be lifted out like new.

Guy90

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Some good points there, errmm, for counterweight plates - I guess you could always make a foldable system, by welding each component to hinges. Then theres the problem of jumping off the jack, to climb down the drain lol. thanks for the tips, i'll let you all know how it goes

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member
Some good points there, errmm, for counterweight plates - I guess you could always make a foldable system, by welding each component to hinges. Then theres the problem of jumping off the jack, to climb down the drain lol. thanks for the tips, i'll let you all know how it goes

Discussion points only really! You would need to swing the cover to one side LoL

S

soap435

I've thought of a new idea for this:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y209/kilermanjaro/drain.jpg

let me know if the link doesn't work out for you all, just copy and paste this url to the address bar.

This is basically a bottle jack, with an extra support bar welded in at the top, to hold the drain keys of whatever size. A lot of the mini drain keys are double ended, this would be helpful, for securing each key in place on the rig.

Why do this? Well if your anything like me, the chance of 3 people to help you lift the lid wouldn't be an option- so the bottle jack would be of use, and

this rig would allow you to lift both sides of the drain lid, rather then just the one.
let me know, on any thoughts or idea's you have about this.

or this? http://www.proteusequipment.com/manholelifters.cfm