real time web analytics
Report - - Mansfield General Hospital, Mansfield, Feb' 2012 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Mansfield General Hospital, Mansfield, Feb' 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Everyonefreezes

tinyurl.com/yzfp8dt
28DL Full Member

Visited with Clebby, Flip, Bekoir, Magicshine & two non members.

mansfield02.jpg

The first purpose built hospital to serve Mansfield and Mansfield Woodhouse area was constructed in 1877 on land which was donated by the Duke of Portland. That building later became a public house, The Fourways Inn, situated at the junction of Butt Lane and Leeming Lane (A60).

From 1882 a cottage hospital, offering a mere two beds, was situated on Union street, also known as The Lawn.

With diseases such as typhoid, smallpox, tuberculosis and diptheria being commonplace, there was a great need for more hospital beds to accomodate the increasing population of Mansfield.

In 1889 the foundation stone for a new hospital was layed by Mrs Hollins of Pleasley Vale. This new hospital was opened in 1890, and known as The Mansfield General Hospital, which stood on West Hill Drive. The cost of this new hospital was £2,000, and it provided five beds. The opening ceremony was conducted on 27th October 1890 by the Duke of Portland.

The need for an extension of these facilities was recognised fairly soon and on the 28th June 1897 the President of the Hospital Board, Mr F. W. Webb, of Newstead Abbey, laid the foundation stone. The new wing was to be named Newstead Ward, and provided a further ten beds.

With the rapid growth of industry in the town, so the population increased. By 1928 it was approaching 48,000. The local hospitals had kept pace with the growth, the Victoria Hospital (prior to 1897 had been known as the Poor Law Institution), was still the largest unit with 164 beds including a maternity unit, while the Mansfield General had grown from it's modest 5 beds of 1890 to 108.

In 1950 the Mansfield General celebrated a further extension. This was a new ward block which was officially opened by Sir Eric Sykes. This new block provided a further 60 beds.

With the majority of the services being transferred to the new Kings Mill Hospital over a period of years, sadly the Mansfield General closed it's doors in 1992.

Well, this was possibly the strangest/luckiest day of exploring that i have ever encountered. I can't go into detail on here about what happened as i was asked not too - but i can assure you it was pleasantly strange.

I was surprised to find the amazing condition of this hospital; considering it's closure in 1992 & urban location. This is definitely the most interesting hospital that i have seen since the demolition of Deva Asylum as unfortunately i never made it down to West Park.

I recommend to anyone who hasn't seen Mansfield yet to get down there now; just incase anything is to happen to it sooner or later. It's an awesome mooch.

mansfield03.jpg
mansfield04.jpg

mansfield05.jpg
mansfield06.jpg

mansfield07.jpg
mansfield08.jpg

mansfield11.jpg

mansfield13.jpg
mansfield14.jpg

mansfield15.jpg
mansfield16.jpg

mansfield17.jpg

mansfield18.jpg
mansfield19.jpg

mansfield20.jpg
mansfield21.jpg

mansfield22.jpg

mansfield24.jpg
mansfield23.jpg

mansfield26.jpg
mansfield25.jpg

mansfield27.jpg
mansfield28.jpg

mansfield30.jpg
mansfield29.jpg

mansfield31.jpg

mansfield32.jpg
mansfield33.jpg

flip

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
excelent snaps man! may just contribute one shot ;)

6885843227_ba4125bcdc_z.jpg

sorry it had to be done!

Who has read this thread (Total: 2) View details