real time web analytics
Report - - Mansfield General Hospital - October 2012 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Mansfield General Hospital - October 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

phat rat

28DL Member
28DL Member
First report!!!
visited with Jesstified, skankypants and 2 non members (thankyou to one for driving us there)
We failed hard getting into this place last saturday, being busted by a nasty security guard that was a hair away from knocking me over with his car, why not try it again!!

History-
The first purpose built hospital to serve Mansfield and Mansfield Woodhouse area was constructed in 1877 on land which was donated by the Duke of Portland. That building later became a public house, The Fourways Inn, situated at the junction of Butt Lane and Leeming Lane (A60).

From 1882 a cottage hospital, offering a mere two beds, was situated on Union street, also known as The Lawn.

With diseases such as typhoid, smallpox, tuberculosis and diptheria being commonplace, there was a great need for more hospital beds to accomodate the increasing population of Mansfield.

In 1889 the foundation stone for a new hospital was layed by Mrs Hollins of Pleasley Vale. This new hospital was opened in 1890, and known as The Mansfield General Hospital, which stood on West Hill Drive. The cost of this new hospital was £2,000, and it provided five beds. The opening ceremony was conducted on 27th October 1890 by the Duke of Portland.

The need for an extension of these facilities was recognised fairly soon and on the 28th June 1897 the President of the Hospital Board, Mr F. W. Webb, of Newstead Abbey, laid the foundation stone. The new wing was to be named Newstead Ward, and provided a further ten beds.

With the rapid growth of industry in the town, so the population increased. By 1928 it was approaching 48,000. The local hospitals had kept pace with the growth, the Victoria Hospital (prior to 1897 had been known as the Poor Law Institution), was still the largest unit with 164 beds including a maternity unit, while the Mansfield General had grown from it's modest 5 beds of 1890 to 108.

In 1950 the Mansfield General celebrated a further extension. This was a new ward block which was officially opened by Sir Eric Sykes. This new block provided a further 60 beds.

With the majority of the services being transferred to the new Kings Mill Hospital over a period of years, sadly the Mansfield General closed it's doors in 1992

we set off on a freezing, rainy Sunday at about 5:30 am (too early) to get to this hospital before the caretaker opposite got up. we arrived and proceeded to make our way through the maze of fences and managed to get in o.k, some snags on the fencing but we were in!!
upon entering, we had a little nosy about the corridors by the main stairs to see what we could see! we knew there was a PIR around here but we weren't quite sure until someone pointed it out. it went off and we all pissed ourselves running!! not the best start to the day as by now we were on our toes listening and skulking round
094.jpg

089.gif
Buxton chairs by the stairs. my mum who use to work in asylums say that tipping the patient back and securing the trays onto the chairs was considdered illegal in the early/mid 80's due to human rights issues with them. they were still used up to the hospital closing date, without tipping the patient back.

028.jpg
ring ring!
View attachment 472686 hello?? :)

019.jpg

016.jpg

041.jpg

after looking round some rooms for a bit, we found the morgue with a bit of effort! it was colder than the rest of the hospital in there (especially in the body fridge) this now became my first hospital visit and my first morgue visit! we had a little look around and found a room, but no slabs :( we had to say bye to skankypants and a non member around this time too. (it was nice meeting up with you guys again!)

i had no hesitation to get into the fridges, except when the first slab i tried to get onto rolled out with some force...
049.jpg
wait, why am i smiling, its freezing my arms of! brrr!
048.jpg

067.jpg
mmm, death.:p:

when we were making our great escape, we found out that someone had sealed our exit! oh no! luckily, the rather lovely caretaker came out and unlocked the gate for us and told us that our cars had been seen round here last week... we ended up having a little chat with him and bid our farewells to the place until next time!
overall, this was a pretty chilled explore! (except for the PIR scare and hiding from the wind!) it was an awesome couple of hours in the hospital but we didn't get to see even a quarter of it as we were getting hungry and paranoid! hopefully there will be a revisit, i liked this place a lot!!
a huge thanks to everyone involved, even the non members who may not see this!!:thumb

Last edited:

Who has read this thread (Total: 2) View details