real time web analytics
Report - - Manshead Tunnel September 2015 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Manshead Tunnel September 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

DeadManWalking

28DL Member
28DL Member
Manshead Tunnel, 53°41'09.1"N 2°00’51.0"W

IMGP1512.JPG
IMGP1506.JPG
IMGP1510.jpg
IMGP1508.jpg
IMG_2532.JPG
IMG_2538.JPG
IMGP1515.jpg
IMGP1519.JPG
IMGP1518.JPG

Well I've searched for, and can find no mention of Manshead Tunnel on this forum so here goes!
Manshead Tunnel entrance is in quite an isolated position in the hills above Mytholmroyd, near Hebden Bridge. It was built back in the early sixties by the Wakefield & District Water Board to divert water from Turvin Clough and the adjacent moorland to Baitings reservoir. In 1961, one man was killed and 3 injured by an explosion whilst the tunnel was being constructed. If you stand at its entrance and look down it you see a tiny point of light. This is the tunnel exit and it is over a mile and a half away. Being so long I had a great idea. Go down it on mountain bikes. Obviously progress was quite slow as there could be holes in the floor or objects in the ceiling to decapitate
an unsuspecting head. Anyway with powerful lights two of us went down. The further you progress the wetter the tunnel becomes as water from the moors above seeps in. About two thirds of the way down it does get quite noisy as quite a large waterfall comes in from a leak in the roof. As I said it is quite a long tunnel and the point of light at the far end seems to take an age to start getting any bigger. Finally journey's end and you are met with iron gates barring an easy exit. Now if you aren't on a bike and you want to get very wet, the bottom of the gate is hinged so you could probably slide under it. We just turned the bikes round and cycled back much faster this time as now we knew what to expect. Pictures from the other side of the gates (53°40'02.9"N 1°59’37.0”W) are taken from an earlier recce and show the outflow down some small steps and under the A58 into Baitings.

Charro

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Beautiful work, this tunnel is close to where I live. During my local profect that I'm researching at the moment, this tunnel has come to my attention. Thanks for putting pictures on this wonderful site.

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
More yorkshire warning signs, does it just say no unauthorized access, or danger of drowning. Great report!!