real time web analytics
Report - - Marconi Factory, New Street, Chelmsford, Sep 2009 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Marconi Factory, New Street, Chelmsford, Sep 2009

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

layz

Conquistador d'Wolverton
28DL Full Member
Evening guys,

here is a little gem in Chelmsford, discovered by Speed.
I went with a very good freind of mine expecting to be there a few hours... we spent almost 7 hours in there. The place is simply epic and far exceeded all my hopes.

History

Chelmsford’s Ne Street Marconi factory was built in 1912, 14 years after the establishment of Marconi’s first factory in the town, at Hall Street. The most notable feature of this early factory aon New St; were two radio masts, 137m high. The factory is credited with being the world’s first purpose-built radio factory, giving Chelmsford the worthy title of: ‘Home of the radio’.
I believe the Art-Deco building which dominates the site was built in the early 1930s during a period of massive growth for the firm.
In 1999 the defence arm of Marconi was bought by British Aerospace to form BA systems, who still occupy the new building to the west of the site. Evidence I found inside the building suggests that operations at the New St factory were consequently reduced in 1999/2000; however I have found little interweb information to support this. In 2008 the last occupants of the site: Selex Communications moved out, ending nearly 100 years of communications industry on the site.

Future

Sadly only 4 of the buildings on site: The 1912 New St building, New St Cottages, The powerhouse and water tower are listed. Consequently the future looks rather grim for the massive art-deco factory, with development work to begin in 2010. No prizes for guessing what the fate of the site will be!

Anyway on with the pictures, enjoy:

The 1912 Building:
454.jpg

Cigars anyone?
450.jpg

Inside the clocktower:
457.jpg

The Art-Deco factory:
479.jpg

425.jpg

374.jpg

379.jpg