real time web analytics
Report - - Marden Mine - Surrey - May 2016 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Marden Mine - Surrey - May 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

silentwalker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History
Marden was mainly used for mining firestone. Like Godstone (a short 10min walk away), it also saw service as a mushroom farm in the 19th Century but this stopped during WW1.

The mine was then reopened for the mining of hearthstone. This is essentially the same rock as was quarried for firestone.

During WW2 the site was acquired by James Gardner (owner of Chislehurst Caves) and partly converted for use as a secure bonded store for alcohol and tobacco which had not had duty paid on it and also used as an ammunition store.

The style of working is very different, firestone is quarried in large blocks for use as masonry, the passages tend to be square and stable. Hearthstone is mined in lumps using hammers and wedges, the passages tend to be rough and cut along natural joints in the rock, the end result is usually far less stable than a stone quarry.
Like Godstone there is a lot of dry stone walling to stop slips from occurring, but you'll also notice that the propping is very different, using stone stacks rather than railway sleepers. This is because the miners found out fairly soon that railway sleepers didn't work because of hearthstones very crumbly nature.

The Explore
Let me first apologise for the different style and quality of the photos, I had to use two horrible temp cameras as mine was out of action :banghead

I had been researching this and a few other local mines for quite sometime but heard they were near impossible to access as they were heavily secured but when hearing these words my brain done a little dance and said "CHALLENGE ACCEPTED" so I sat down and got planning. The location was found by myself and help from @Porker of the night cheers bro, many hours walking through brambles paid off ey :thumb

Now the difficult part, the access, I knew I was going to have my work cut out for me but as always a magician never reveals his tricks and hey presto I was in. I swiftly exited the derp without a trace and got on the phone to the lads and the main trip was a go! My oh my this place is a little gem, packed with some fine exhibits indeed, we all got out with a cracking smile on our faces as well as a few cracked heads o_O, thank you MARDEN it was a pleasure, another one bites the dust! ;)

Now on to the fine derp.

6_zps1tirw0yp.jpg

1_zpscycyap4i.jpg

3_zpss3t18zln.jpg

11_zpskzjwe4lj.jpg

7_zpsc4kgmxq3.jpg

10_zpsa4chyuzo.jpg

12_zpsxziuexsw.jpg

5_zpsruzvithe.jpg

4_zpsxujcvdnh.jpg

2_zpsby2pmjvl.jpg

9_zpsw442jaxi.jpg

8_zpspbe0ykyh.jpg

13_zpsvxppjare.jpg

14_zpscygjlk3k.jpg

Thanks for stopping by :D

R_yoda

Like a cat on a fence....
28DL Full Member
Dammnn... Was an awesome explore worth all the effort.. Good write up silentwalker! Should of got a canon tho ;) ;)

silentwalker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nicely done mate,your not wrong about cracked heads mine felt like it was going to split open,considering your camera issues you did good mate!

Heard your impact from the other side o_O Mine was aching for a few hours! Cheers fella :D