real time web analytics
Report - - Marefield Culvert - Leics - August 2016 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Marefield Culvert - Leics - August 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

elhomer12

Maglite size T-rex, It's time for urbex!
28DL Full Member
Ok, so this is my second visit to this little culvert, and despite being armed with a map too it took me an embarrassingly long time to actually find it since the area is a little overgrown. The last time I visited we only made it about 10m down the second outfall tunnel before giving up... this time I was on my own, but much better equipped.

History (partly stolen from wombat)
The GNR & LNWR joint railway line ran from Nottingham (or Newark), via Melton Mowbray, and on to Market Harborough & Northampton, built around 1879. Passenger services were only around six per day in each direction, although it was more heavily used by goods traffic. The 2nd branch headed westwards terminating at Leicester Belgrave Road. The lines closed to regular traffic in 1953.

This culvert is located beneath the northern junction of the Marefield junction, which was part of the aforementioned railway line. The junction takes its name from the nearby hamlet of Marefield. At the eastern end is the infall, which is a single large tunnel wth a grate across it. At the outfall the culvert is split into two tunnels, however it seems one is usually blocked up with mud with water only flowing out of the other.

...and now without further ado, on with the pics

28903844946_647f1daa2d_k.jpg

(Excuse the crap pic and my tripod, taken on the way out and I couldn't be bothered)

28317315754_f36a8c4756_k.jpg

28319982893_06ecbf7e03_k.jpg

28859578691_980df14359_k.jpg

28903927266_e68522f4c8_k.jpg

28830879722_cb94e1e5de_k.jpg

28903912176_40cc771c93_k.jpg

28650248070_e82e8ad11b_k.jpg

28903883046_c015c77e73_k.jpg

28935735205_982c7232f9_k.jpg

28650200930_8cb8409efa_k.jpg

28317203824_3323520bd0_k.jpg

Punk

Punkus Explorus
28DL Full Member
Nicely done :thumb
It's a nice little mooch down there.
There's plenty more in that area

elhomer12

28DL Full Member
Nicely done :thumb
It's a nice little mooch down there.
There's plenty more in that area

I did have a look for the other Culvert that's supposed to be on the other side of the junction but couldn't find it. All I could find was a 2ft one. Report from Loddington still to come ;)

Punk

Punkus Explorus
28DL Full Member
I did have a look for the other Culvert that's supposed to be on the other side of the junction but couldn't find it. All I could find was a 2ft one. Report from Loddington still to come ;)

That's what I like to hear :thumb
You still on for next weekend?

The Wombat

Mr Wombat
28DL Full Member
Another excellent report :thumb
First went in this one around 16 years ago (very ill prepared back in those days!)

There's 2 more half reasonable culverts in that area you may also be interested in.

elhomer12

28DL Full Member
Another excellent report :thumb
First went in this one around 16 years ago (very ill prepared back in those days!)

There's 2 more half reasonable culverts in that area you may also be interested in.

I went looking for the black spinney one having thought I'd located it on the map, but I couldn't find it. Going by how long it took me to find this one having been before, it's quite possible It was there and I just didn't see it. Is twyford the other one, or is there another closer?

The Wombat

Mr Wombat
28DL Full Member
I went looking for the black spinney one having thought I'd located it on the map, but I couldn't find it. Going by how long it took me to find this one having been before, it's quite possible It was there and I just didn't see it. Is twyford the other one, or is there another closer?

Twyford is one, there are twin tunnels. Don't think I've reported on it, but it's easy to find by the road.

Black spinney is a bit trickier; head Loddington direction from Marefield junction East; it's not too far, by a track. If you've found these, you will be able to find it :)
If not, give me a shout.

7 good old railway tunnels in Leicestershire that are worth checking out :thumb

elhomer12

28DL Full Member
Black spinney is a bit trickier; head Loddington direction from Marefield junction East; it's not too far, by a track. If you've found these, you will be able to find it :)
If not, give me a shout.

Ah, I was looking in the wrong place then, it's a little further down the line than I thought :thumb I'll have to go and check it out next time I'm in the area, which probably won't be long :p

I've started on the tunnels too, done one or two, still more to go....