real time web analytics
Report - - Marehill Quarry West Sussex July 2020 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Marehill Quarry West Sussex July 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Jane Doe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Marehill Quarry is an abandoned sandstone mining site, which first opened at the end of the 19th century. The quarry was extracting fine grade sand for the iron industry of the midlands up until the 1940’s. After World War Two the caving system became a mushroom farm for a short period and then remained abandoned until the Sussex Wildlife Trust took over the site in 1998. The cave system here is an ideal environment for animals to roost hence there are various species of bats, moths and spiders to be found.

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nicely carved tunnels, though the extraction rate looks a little high for soft sand, might have expected more collapses. The Newnham Court sand mine at Maidstone was said to have largely fallen in before the entrance was lost due to excessive extraction. This is also known as Pulborough sand mine.

muttman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great photos - good lighting!

Did you find the abandoned Peugeot and caravan behind the pub car park?

I visited this last year and the bloody dog disappeared down one of those tiny tunnels right at the back. After starting to poo myself he luckily re-emerged covered in sand.

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great photos - good lighting!

Did you find the abandoned Peugeot and caravan behind the pub car park?

I visited this last year and the bloody dog disappeared down one of those tiny tunnels right at the back. After starting to poo myself he luckily re-emerged covered in sand.
I wouldn't have thought dogs and mines were the best combination though these sand tunnels look relatively clear of debris.

muttman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I wouldn't have thought dogs and mines were the best combination though these sand tunnels look relatively clear of debris.
He's a Pug so never normally leaves my side. He got a scent of something. Its fascinating which animal's roam these abandoned places when we're aasleep.

Who has read this thread (Total: 335) View details