real time web analytics
Report - - Markeaton Interceptor(aka Flo Selecta), Derby - June '15 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Markeaton Interceptor(aka Flo Selecta), Derby - June '15

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Punk

Punkus Explorus
28DL Full Member
Explored with @The Wombat

History
Due to its location beside the confluence of the River Derwent and the Markeaton brook, Derby has a long history of being flooded from either the brook or the river. In the early 1930s there were two major floods caused by the brook, which provided the impetus to find a solution, and prevent further flooding in Derby. The first was in September 1931 when heavy rain across Derbyshire, caused substantial flooding from the brook in the centre of the town. Residents living alongside the course of the brook were trapped in their houses, and produce from nearby allotments was uprooted and swept through the streets. The second flood occurred less than a year later in May 1932; again intense rainfall caused the brook to overflow, with considerable flooding throughout the central shopping quarter. A contemporary account recalls that; "Water poured into the streets and many houses were filled to a depth of six or seven feet. In the low-lying parts of the town it gathered quickly and, by ten o’clock on this memorable Sunday morning, shops in the Cornmarket, St James’s Street and the bottom end of St Peter’s Street were immersed half-way up the windows. The centre of town presented the appearance of a lake and the sight was unforgettable."

20396_49145815251d550e3f018a.jpg

Derby Cornmarket, May 1932

Following the floods of 1931 and 1932, the Borough council arranged for an investigation to be carried out into the flooding problem within the catchment. The planned solution was the construction of two flood relief culverts, with associated improvements to the sewerage system. Opened in 1938, the largest of the diversion tunnels was called the Northern Flood Relief Culvert, and drains excess flows from the Markeaton and Mackworth brooks. The second, known as the Bramble brook culvert takes surplus flows for that tributary stream. The northern relief culvert commences at Markeaton Park, near to the confluence of the Markeaton and Mackworth brooks. Each brook has its own inlet spillway, with a weir that overflows during periods of high flows. Flows from these inlets converge, and are then taken by the relief culvert eastwards for 2.2 km through the suburbs of Derby, to an outfall with the Derwent in Darley Park. In 2006, the inlet works were improved and upgraded to cope with changes in the catchment that have occurred since the original design.

Explore
This was the first of two explores on this trip. Thanks @paulpowers the tips, like advising to pay parking :thumb
This has been on my urbex bucket list since joining the forum. It was certainly worth the anticipation, we spent a good hour an a half in there, before realising how limited for time we were. When exiting, we surprised an Angler , who watched in bemusement as we clambered out and made our way back to the car.
Great explore with my old partner in crime

(1)
dPazZvlcfAiDI15NWxtq0snBT77RE9jg_QFAQp-0JE4=w972-h651-no.jpg

(2)
cl2UBTJYX9k-KN34O1K93tb-w37B_kXCafFmUvVVuY4=w972-h651-no.jpg

(3)
dsgOrvKIHzOcbHAf1K9OOThbb1OluiihrfAjJrKe7BA=w972-h651-no.jpg

(4)
zfrAlYKmjhnSnABbiMS9DXtLSuyIRu26KX6btyMM7_o=w972-h651-no.jpg

(5)
FLyY3ukrigEHAydy0ql3GHUdS78knWidibVlb-Z06Dg=w972-h651-no.jpg

(6)
RAooMKN0Aoy-hm4ATmrktigopL4FpxcEWuFGicZyF3s=w972-h651-no.jpg

(7)
ka75z1nBqFOw5-y7IACrNJ2I2WnFlKFcuYxDGNKPJzI=w972-h651-no.jpg

(8)
SO4I63KgncRZU75KV-4u8j_sThaDazZEnZxaRBlIsmw=w972-h651-no.jpg

(9)
_KHuSMJvpMycGB-TnCwo1Vnt9KngYyyOw1-5sbNdRNU=w972-h651-no.jpg

(10)
c7nVhTWg1vy6an2tp-Wxju-PhuP7mC7_cl1R93jRWwo=w972-h651-no.jpg

(11)
t6vg3xy2nqBlpcV3XrkcvBPeD6iO_iMSszACEHQc2f4=w972-h651-no.jpg

(12)
1IRTxw2aw7-BmUucHaAdQNiEVTpud_VyD_iUBKEC-P0=w972-h651-no.jpg

(13)
hDihMNod0UDqleAvq29aMHdDutszOH-dVJ9x8tii1zc=w972-h651-no.jpg

(14)
-WKvutX5J1wAOvW5whulgVssqk7YgWh70HyIh8Z2ww0=w972-h651-no.jpg

Cheers for Looking :thumb

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice ones mate ;)

Something that the larger gentleman can access as well lol

Don't be exhausting all the locations there'll be nothing to interest you when we visit.

Punk

Punkus Explorus
28DL Full Member
Something that the larger gentleman can access as well lol

Don't be exhausting all the locations there'll be nothing to interest you when we visit.

First of all, cheeky fucker lol
When is this proposed visit?

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
First of all, cheeky fucker lol
When is this proposed visit?

What I meant was I'm sick of trying to access places where I need too remove some ribs to get through a gap that an anerexic crack head would struggle with ;)

Not muscle bound idividuals such as ourselves lol

As for the other ? It's in your capable hands ;)

Last edited:

Punk

Punkus Explorus
28DL Full Member
Go and find out. Sorry but I ain't handing over access publicly for the internet to read, nor to a noob.
Start and intro thread and post a few reports, then people may give you access