real time web analytics
Report - - Markinch Power Station (Under Demolition)- Fife - June 2021 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Markinch Power Station (Under Demolition)- Fife - June 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Tocsin35

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History
Tullis Russell acquired Rothes mill in 1836 then in 1914 Markinch power stations construction was finished with the aim to provide power to the mill. Subsequently when cleaner forms of energy production were sought after as an alternative to coal powered methods Markinch was shut down in 2012 and caused 300 job losses. Today only a Biomass plant operates on the site and it would seem its looking to expand over the mill site with a £20m Heat Centre.

Our Visit
We Arrived in Glenrothes around Midday only to find the power station was in the process of being demolished. Determined to still have a look at what was left we went left and had a look at cults limestone mine for a few hours then came back when things were a bit quieter. The site is definitely a bit hairy to get into especially in the rain but was well worth the risk. Despite being torn down, the Boiler house still made for quite a sight. It seems as if Demolition is progressing rather quickly so i cant imagine there is much left of this site now.

View attachment

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Yeh very sad sight to see. You must have missed me by a matter of hours. I called in on Saturday and had one last mooch around in the torrential rain... Kicking myself i never went back a second time.

Terminal Decline

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Oh shit, that is depressing! Undoubtedly one of the best small power stations to have come along in UK urbex scene. Shameful that virtually no physical reminders of the British electricity industry have been preserved, soon we will have nothing left, other then the soulless shells of a few London ones. Given it's location and the subsequent rape by metal thieves I guess it was inevitable, but it's heartbreaking to see none the less.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Looks like you caught so nice bits just in time. Another one bits the dust. Good job though

Who has read this thread (Total: 199) View details