Web
Analytics
Report - - Masonic Obelisk | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Masonic Obelisk

vegan420

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
so after looking at old maps around the area I found an obelisk and tumulus located not to far away so I decided to go take a look. Nothing special but it's clearly Masonic and in Latin.

It's situated on the top of a hill on the old grounds to Henry the 8th named addington palace. Can't find any history on the obelisk which I find a little weird considering it location and being on old maps.
image.jpg

Here's the obelisk

image.jpg

Capolus manners Sutton ? I can only find a Charles manners Sutton online
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

pigeonboy

Be gentle
28DL Full Member
Call me uneducated but can you explain what it is? Also this is probably better off in the pictures thread, rather than a report.

vegan420

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I couldn't work out where to post it sorry....

I have no clue what it is apart from being called an obelisk on old maps I can't find anyone online talking about it or what it is, there a lot of information on the history of the area but no mention of this obelisk and the tomb next it which is just a big mound today.

Yorrick

28DL Regular User
Regular User
"Cedar and stone to commemorate" Is about all I can make out. It's just too pixelated. If you have a higher res image you can email me, I'll have another go.

vegan420

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Il have to go back and try get some clear images of the writing maybe take some water with me see if that helps.

xante8088

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Out of curiosity, what about the obelisk makes you think it's masonic? The emblems don't appear to be Masonic, but I could be wrong. From what I can make out there is a hunting horn, a family crest, and what looks to be the arms of the Archbishop of Canterbury.

It looks like a memorial(?) for Charles Manners Sutton
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Manners-Sutton

I'm guessing that Capolus is Carolus which translates to Charles (is it chipped or damaged by the P/R, can't tell from photo)

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Carolus

English
Etymology
From Carolus, Latin for Latin Charles.