real time web analytics
Report - - Matthews Riding School Gillingham Kent Oct 15 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Matthews Riding School Gillingham Kent Oct 15

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Chimera28

28DL Member
28DL Member
This is my first report so please bear this in mind :)

Matthews Equestrian Centre was owned by a guy called Tony Rocco who made his fortune as a professional wrestler back in the 70's. He built the place as a memorial to his son Matthew who died at a very young age. Mr Rocco wasn't a horseman by any means...but he was a visionary and a very good publicist and so at the time Matthews Equestrian Centre featured heavily on the local tv. He did get to hold few big shows and in fact I was privileged enough to compete at the first of them in the pro-am final...partnering none other than Michael Whitaker on Disney Way the council put the nail in the coffin of Matthews by refusing planning permission for more major shows and as a sort 'up yours' to them, Mr Rocco decided to leave it there to rot rather than redevelop it.

The site is very run down and fire damage is evident, its very open to the elements as most of the roof is gone. Its been badly smashed up by vandals

20151013_135137.jpg
20151013_135843.jpg
20151013_135850.jpg
20151013_140104.jpg
20151013_140250.jpg
20151013_140553.jpg
20151013_140603.jpg
20151013_140824.jpg
20151013_141521.jpg
20151013_141715.jpg
20151013_142626.jpg
20151013_143139.jpg

Last edited:

marmiteonpizza

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Even though it's badly bashed, tattered and burnt, it's still an interesting place to visit in my opinion. It is a shame that some people haven't learnt to appreciate places of old though =( It would be something completely different if the current condition was closer to what it was ten plus years ago.

Old Git

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Tony also owned the City farm at Capstone park which went the same way courtesy of Medway council .Fair to say hes not their favourite person.

marmiteonpizza

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I keep hearing/reading from urbexers that this Tony guy was a former wrestler - is this true? I did a bit of research and found a famous wrestler by the same name, but based in the USA; I'm thinking it could originally have been a mix up and started as a rumor?

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
I keep hearing/reading from urbexers that this Tony guy was a former wrestler - is this true? I did a bit of research and found a famous wrestler by the same name, but based in the USA; I'm thinking it could originally have been a mix up and started as a rumor?

I haven't ever seen it written authoritatively. I just checked again as well, and still can't find anything.

marmiteonpizza

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I haven't ever seen it written authoritatively. I just checked again as well, and still can't find anything.
I couldn't find much on him at all; all I could find were articles from newspapers about his recent attempts at starting up other similar sites, with a few pictures of him at his current age - certainly doesn't have the brawn of a wrestler!
I mean, I know he would have lost weight after retiring, but he would probably still look more muscular than an average retiree if he was a wrestler.