real time web analytics
Report - - Mayfield/Bellerby College, Wadhurst - Nov '09 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Mayfield/Bellerby College, Wadhurst - Nov '09

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

BeGood

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The history has been written before, but to save you having to go to a previous report for that, here it is again;

"Prior to Bellerby's taking over this school in about 1995 it was known as Mayfield College. Mayfield was founded by the Duchess of Leeds as an Orphanage. In 1868 a Roman Catholic Order of Religous Brothers, known as the Xaverian Brothers, moved from Hastings to run Mayfield College as an independent boys boarding school. The school continued to flourish under the direction of the Brothers until 1977 when, due to a shortage of vocations into the Brothers, the school was taken over by the Mayfield College Educational Trust. It retained strong links with the Brothers several of whom still lived and taught at the College.

However in about 1995 the Trust felt unable to continue the administration of the school and it was sold to Bellerby's of Wadhurst, they changed the name of the school to Bellerby College, Mayfield. The school has now closed down; about four years ago."

I don't know what they are planning to do with it now, but it's a lovely building in beautiful grounds, so hopefully something can be done before the rain gets the better of the house.

Apart from the epic walk from the railway station, it was quite a pleasant explore. I managed to forget my torch, and with the sun going down I had a bit of a time finding my way to my exit point at the end of my lookaround. A frantic 15 minutes ensued, but all was well in the end.

On with the photos...

RSCN1718.jpg

DSCN1595.jpg

DSCN1621.jpg

DSCN1624.jpg

DSCN1645.jpg

DSCN1647.jpg

Why, this is marvellous news!

DSCN1654.jpg

Some attractive windows.

DSCN1662.jpg

DSCN1664.jpg

DSCN1677.jpg

DSCN1680.jpg

Rather damp in here.

DSCN1684.jpg

Thanks very much for looking! :thumb

Last edited:

Foster

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The history has been written before, but to save you having to go to a previous report for that, here it is again;

"Prior to Bellerby's taking over this school in about 1995 it was known as Mayfield College. Mayfield was founded by the Duchess of Leeds as an Orphanage. In 1868 a Roman Catholic Order of Religous Brothers, known as the Xaverian Brothers, moved from Hastings to run Mayfield College as an independent boys boarding school. The school continued to flourish under the direction of the Brothers until 1977 when, due to a shortage of vocations into the Brothers, the school was taken over by the Mayfield College Educational Trust. It retained strong links with the Brothers several of whom still lived and taught at the College.

However in about 1995 the Trust felt unable to continue the administration of the school and it was sold to Bellerby's of Wadhurst, they changed the name of the school to Bellerby College, Mayfield. The school has now closed down; about four years ago."

I don't know what they are planning to do with it now, but it's a lovely building in beautiful grounds, so hopefully something can be done before the rain gets the better of the house.

Apart from the epic walk from the railway station, it was quite a pleasant explore. I managed to forget my torch, and with the sun going down I had a bit of a time finding my way to my exit point at the end of my lookaround. A frantic 15 minutes ensued, but all was well in the end.

On with the photos...

RSCN1718.jpg

DSCN1595.jpg

DSCN1621.jpg

DSCN1624.jpg

DSCN1645.jpg

DSCN1647.jpg

Why, this is marvellous news!

DSCN1654.jpg

Some attractive windows.

DSCN1662.jpg

DSCN1664.jpg

DSCN1677.jpg

DSCN1680.jpg

Rather damp in here.

DSCN1684.jpg

Thanks very much for looking! :thumb

Sorry, but the history is incorrect! Prior to being Bellarbys, this was Wadhurst College, Mayfield Lane, Wadhurst which was a public boarding school for girls. Nothing to do with Mayfield College for boys which is in Mayfield. And Wadhurst is in East Sussex and not Kent. And it would have been Bellarbys College, Mayfield Lane, Wadhurst.