real time web analytics
Report - - Mayfield station manchester 7/2009 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Mayfield station manchester 7/2009

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

O

Oldskool

Visited this site back in the summer of 2009 this was my first explore a little history then the pictures....
Manchester Mayfield is a former railway station in Manchester, England. It is located on the south side of Fairfield Street, next to Manchester Piccadilly station.
Opened on 8 August 1910 by the London & North Western Railway Manchester Mayfield was built alongside Manchester London Road station (later Piccadilly) to handle the increased number of trains and passengers following the opening of the Styal Line in 1909. It was connected to London Road via a high-level footbridge. It was mainly used by suburban services to the south of Manchester, but a number of main line services used it during busy periods.

Mayfield suffered the effects of bombing during World War II, when it was hit by a land mine (parachute mine). It came into its own for a brief period during the electrification and modernisation of what was to become Piccadilly Station in the late 1950s, when many services were diverted to it after a restoration of sorts. It was closed to passengers on 28 August 1960.
The site was converted into a parcels depot which opened on 6 July 1970. Royal Mail constructed a sorting office on the opposite side of the main line and connected it to Mayfield with an overhead conveyor bridge which crosses the throat of Piccadilly Station. The depot closed in 1986 following the decision by Parcelforce, Royal Mail's parcels division, to abandon rail transport in favour of road haulage. The building has remained disused ever since, with the tracks into Mayfield removed in 1989 as part of the remodelling of the Piccadilly Station layout. The sorting office was briefly reused as an indoor karting track, but has now been rebuilt as prestige offices; the parcel conveyor bridge was removed in 2003.

DSCF7034.jpg

DSCF7036.jpg

DSCF7042.jpg

DSCF7046.jpg

DSCF7059.jpg

DSCF7066.jpg

DSCF7069.jpg

DSCF7070.jpg

DSCF7077.jpg

DSCF7096.jpg

DSCF7118.jpg

DSCF7253.jpg

ive reposted this report as my original post has disappeared thanks for looking ...Oldskool:thumb