Web
Analytics
Report - - Meadowhurst, Slinfold August 2020 | Residential Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Meadowhurst, Slinfold August 2020

RXQueen

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Visited today, a 6/7 bedroom house with extensive fire damage to the upper floors. In the grounds is also a 2 bed keepers cottage. Was given this location by someone who thought it was another place that would have been slightly more interesting but we had fun.

After a long trek trying to find a way in involving cows fences and the obligatory nettles we arrived later than anticipated. Of course we could have come the easier way from the road at the bottom of the long driveway but too many people around for my liking. There are signs on the gate about police dogs training but there wasn’t any, there’s also a camera on a tree but assume it’s either a dummy or don’t work.

First stop was the keepers cottage but very short lived as we heard a bang (later discovered it’s just an upstairs door banging in the breeze) so quickly went round the other side toward the house when out of the garage/workshop came a huge barn owl. I always jump at pigeons flying out on explores so you can imagine the noise we made at an owl very majestic creature and a privilege to see, could feel the breeze from its wings flapping (90cm wing span, i googled it lol) Respected his/her place in the garage and spent as little time as possible in there.

The big house is completely wrecked on the upper floors and I couldn’t access any bedrooms that were left as I didn’t trust the ladder someone had kindly left to the 2nd floor over the burnt out stairs. The stairs to the first floor were more iffy coming down than going up. Was unable to access the room that looks as if it contains a hot tub or the kitchen.

If anyone has any idea what the holes in the wall are for I would be interested to know, the room the other side is the kitchen if that helps. We wonder if it was some kind of wine rack. And is the car a BMW?

Sadly there was a lot of racist graffiti around.

History

Fire :

Emergency services spent more than nine hours battling a blaze which raged throughout the night on Monday (April 1 2019) and into the early hours of the following morning.

Police said the building had recently been renovated by the owners but had now been damaged beyond repair. An arson investigation has been launched.

Previous:

Its been hard to find any information on this property other than it was last sold in 1995. The only other history I could find was regarding a previous owner in the early 1900s from The National Archives.

“Charles George Archibald ANSON, age 26 and a sheep farmer at Chartres was married to Mabel KERR, age 23 living in Stanley, 7 April 1885 in the Parish Church according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Established Church by Licence by Lowther E Brandon MA Colonial Chaplain. The witnesses were Governor Kerr and Herbert Mansel. Charles’ father was recorded as Thomas Arditch Anson, C of E rector, and Mabel’s father was recorded as Thomas Kerr, Governor of the Falkland Islands. Charles, Mabel and their son and nurse departed 13 April 1905 on board the Oropesa. Also on board was a Miss Anson who had come down from the UK with them in October 1901. Charles, of Meadow Hurst Slinfold, Sussex, died 6 April 1923 at The Cottage Hospital, Horsham, Sussex after an operation. According to his obituary he had lived in the Falkland Islands for some 30 years. He left effects to the value of £6,656-11-10 to his wife, Mabel”

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Lovely shots there Gemma, well done, a great report. Loving the window shot with old curtains blowing out and that lion knocker. May be knackered, but very photogenic.:thumb

RXQueen

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
i’d gladly go out again tomorrow but daughters moaning she needs rest before we go to thorpe park on tuesday . i probably should stay off it tho for a few days too, got chub rub on my arse. wouldn’t mind but i don’t have a bum.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
i’d gladly go out again tomorrow but daughters moaning she needs rest before we go to thorpe park on tuesday . i probably should stay off it tho for a few days too, got chub rub on my arse. wouldn’t mind but i don’t have a bum.
There a few near thorpe park too pmsl. Its hard to resist. I get knee rub as crawl in places and slide. So yep rubbing in all the wrong places. Were women we got this ;)

KStar777

28DL Member
28DL Member
Thank you so much for sharing these photos and the National Archives find. This week, after a chat on family history, I looked up Meadowhurst as it was where my grandma, who was from Wales, worked in domestic service in the 1920s, as a young girl. She got married in Slinfold parish whilst working at the house. Apparently the lady of the house made her a bouquet with flowers from the garden. Their marriage was in 1926 though and so just after the records say that Charles Anson died (1923). I wonder if the lady of the house was Mabel Anson (or an heir) or if it had passed hands after that?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
RXQueen Residential Sites 2