real time web analytics
Report - - Mechanics Institute, Swindon, May/June '09 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Mechanics Institute, Swindon, May/June '09

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

larey

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I have finally got round to posting another report :thumb

The Swindon Mechanics Institute is a grade II listed building in the heart of Swindon. Opened in May 1855, it included a library, coffee room and reading room and amongst other things it also has a lecture/concert hall with a stage. The library was established earlier than any other public library in England.

Over the years it has suffered rebuilds, fires and, since closing in 1986, possible demolition and multiple plans put forward for its future. It is currently the Theatre Trust’s second most at risk building.

On with the report!...visited with NPS160 these are pictures from multiple visits over the past couple of months, this place has absolute comedy access every time, and apart from the odd plaster falls, broken floors and copious amounts of pigeon guano it is my favourite explore. The way that this gothic style building has decayed, mainly away from vandalism, is extremely photogenic. The building is currently under some kind of renovation but what and whether the owners have permission to be doing the work is another matter.

Here are the pictures...

img873.jpg

joiner87_stitch-2.jpg

img886.jpg

img883.jpg

img876edit.jpg

This is an example of some of the work that they are doing at the moment.

img885.jpg

The building is absolutely packed with staircases and every one is slightly different

img884.jpg

The outside windows are partially boarded up giving great shadows throughout the day

fullsizemechedit7edit.jpg

fullsizemechedit14.jpg

fullsizemechedit15.jpg

There has been some severe water damage over the years as the roof was only revamped about a month ago

fullsizemechedit.jpg

The only remaining set of seats left in the theatre hall. Later in our explores we found a room packed full of discarded chairs

fullsizemechedit10.jpg

fullsizemechedit4.jpg

fullsizemechedit11.jpg

img254finaledit.jpg

fullsizemechedit18.jpg

img872.jpg

Full set is on my flickr... www.flickr.com/photos/itslare