real time web analytics
Meeting up with strangers for explores | General Exploring Chat Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Meeting up with strangers for explores

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Grom

Camera Drowner
Regular User
I am planning a explore for tomorrow with some of my friends. I was speaking to one of the people I know through the Urbex grape vine earlier, someone I've have talked on and off to for sometime about places, but never met in person.

Anyway, he asked if he could tag along. My instinct was 'Cool! someone who knows a lot more about Urbex than me, would be nice to have there'.
I tried explaining this to my friends who are going, but they weren't comfortable with essentially a totally stranger coming along and said no.

Which got me thinking, whats the deal with meeting people for explores? It seems that on this forum and a few others its quite common and accepted to meet up to explore. But outside these internet communities, it appears like it is still viewed as alien to meet up with essentially strangers.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Last edited:

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
I've personally got to know some great people doing this silly hobby, your best going somewhere nice and straight forward to start with, usually Wetherspoons :D

Joking aside, meeting people is the best bit :thumb

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Never had any hassle with anyone I've arranged to go on an explore with, more often than not I end up going out with them many more times in the future.

What's the worst that can happen?...................................................... Forget that - it's agreeing to take Ojay out for a stroll!

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
As long as your"e not all young girls and the blokes not called Jimmy, Fred or Rolf etc you"d like to think it"ll be all ok ;)

It"s up to you, what other people would do should have no bearing on how you interact with strangers in this game or in the rest of your life o_O
First impressions will not always give you warnings as to whether someones a serial killer or indeed has no ability to climb over a security fence, or that they may turn out to be the noisiest explorer the world of Urbex Tourism has ever seen & throws :dummyout on a constant basis :banghead

You either do some background research off media etc or meet up in a Pub beforehand & either say yay or nay, and then suck it and see (if they"re called jimmy or Rolf anyway :D

You may also find out they turn out to be Mint, and may even replace some of your less desirable friends :thumb which i"ve done :D

On a serious note i always read your user name as Gromer which is a little disconcerting....:eek:

Last edited:

stranton

subterranean explorer
Regular User
2nd that,
I have met some real nice folk on here which I didnt know 12 months prior.

GG

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I've met some great friends on this forum. What an excellent public service web site.

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Most of the people i explore with i met on this forum, i had no idea before who they were and over the years had some amazing explores..Its not the kind of place people come to rob you Etc….go for it i say.

Miss Mayhem

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I think it is good to meet new people, and gives you the chance to learn more and have a laugh at the same time.
KM Punk introduced me to urbexing and new people that I'm really grateful for,
And I have never looked back :thumb
If you are concerned just meet in a pub beforehand, have fun : )

Punk

Punkus Explorus
28DL Full Member
Go for it, there's a group of you and just one of them. Should be safe
2nd that,
I have met some real nice folk on here which I didnt know 12 months prior.
I met this guy one night through another urbexer and the next few months we met up regularly urbexing.
Like Ojay said, quite often you end up making friends meeting many more times in the future

sirjonnyp

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
None of us would really know each other if we didn't meet here, and then in real life. Plus, if they've been here a while, this chap is likely toknow more about the game than you do. If you're really scared meet in a pub :)