real time web analytics
Report - - Megatron From The Deep End April 2017 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Megatron From The Deep End April 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Torchlight

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History
Just a brief history as written so many times before, as we know the Megatron is a large culvert built in the 1860's that allows the River Sheaf to flow under the railway station and streets of Sheffield for over half a mile until it flows out into the River Don. It is a wonder of Victorian engineering, made up of several types of construction from brick, stone and concrete and provides many photo opportunities for those who venture in

The Explore
Having walked the Megatron from the railway station a few times I was always curious what was beyond the Cathedral roof section. I had waded as far as the parabola roof but the water got deeper than my waders and increasing silty so I decided the only other way was to access Megatron from the river Don by boat.
Now I say boat but what I mean is a 2004 hoiday dinghy last used in the mediterainian
I had read previous reports speculating on the fact that there might be a small weir so I thought I would be able to lift the dinghy over and paddle up through the Megatron, so I thought.
I knew this could all end in disaster with me swimming back the way I had come so had my wet suit on, buoyancy aid and all my photographic gear sealed in bags.

I managed to launch my dinghy lower down the river Don near the Wicker Arches, progress up the Don was rapid as I had to carry the dinghy most of the way due to shallow water. Under Blonk Street bridge I managed to find some deeper water and this voyage of discovery was on its way

34007064251_efdf6a3242_b.jpg

I set out across the main flow of the Don probing the depth as I went and it rapidly got deeper the main flow being around 7 foot deep, I was glad I had brought the pump with me as I had to come back this way

33752769710_0dc9667b7f_b.jpg

33326352153_b27e388dec_b.jpg

Eventually after a short voyage I entered the Sheaf outlet feeling quite small and insecure in my small dinghy, I could hear the noise of flowing water and shone my torch ahead into the dark. In the distance about 20 meters ahead I could see a weir but it was not 2 foot high but about 6 foot high, I had not expected this, but I was committed now.
Just as I entered the outlet I saw with some relief a small island of dry ground on the right so I could beach the dinghy and get out, knowing all the time that a puncture here was not good news as I did not really like swimming.
I set my camera up tried a bit of light painting on the weir ahead, with light streaming in from the outlet it made it awkward to photograph, I tried a few flash pictures but had to raise the ISO up to 800 to get enough light on the weir, so photos a bit grainy

33326368843_59566ae4bd_b.jpg

34007134441_bb5a4b04ae_b.jpg

34097232816_6b6f10ecac_b.jpg

From the secure island I paddled towards the weir I needed a closer look maybe I could climb the weir and paddle up Megatron. As I approached the weir I realized how high it was and how steep about 45 degrees and how smooth and slippy it was I was not going to be climbing this today. I probed the depth of the water as I paddled round the area below the weir the majority was about 5-6 feet deep so definitely swimming, one interesting bit was that just at the base of the weir there was a concrete pad protruding out about 4 foot and at a depth of about 2-3 foot so you could stand here if I dared getting out the dinghy, but not for me today as one slip and you were in 6 foot of water.

33326360843_5e5faa39f3_b.jpg

Having took a few photos, light painting no good when bobbing about in a boat so had to use flash. I looked back to the outlet and immediately noticed a large concrete patch in the roof of the brick arch with a lot of chunks of brick missing in the surrounding area, just like shrapnel marks I had seen in other areas of the city, could it be a hole made by a WW2 bomb.
Further investigation at home showed a WW2 bomb had fallen on the outlet to the Don, I found this on a map showing where all the bombs that fell on Sheffield in the blitz in 1940 on December 12 and 15. On the other side of the outlet near the entrance there were more pock marks probably from shrapnel

33326381603_db428ed809_b.jpg

34007169061_627e2875c1_b.jpg

34007173151_8b47a11e72_b.jpg

This is the map showing were the bombs fell Dec 12 & 15 1940

34007658141_9d02f2c950_b.jpg

This is a sketch of the water depth at the outlet to the Don

33981244992_4c5b4ce353_b.jpg

Well I ,am a bit nearer in finding out what lies at the deep end of Megatron, it looks like another dinghy trip will be required from inside Megatron itself in the near future, as long as I don,t bottle out

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Great report, really enjoyed that. The bit about the bomb marks is really interesting. Nice research!

Torchlight

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great report, really enjoyed that. The bit about the bomb marks is really interesting. Nice research!
Hi yes when I saw the marks all over the walls it looked like shrapnel, but seeing the map sort of confirmed it, you just don,t know what you might find down there

Torchlight

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
great little adventure, nice report and enjoyed the bit about the Bomb:thumb
The bomb certainly was a surprise, there,s some right chunks taken out the brickwork. In those days they probably had it repaired in a few days. The collapse culvert at decathlon been like it for 4 months know

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
Absolutely top stuff sir!
Makes for a very interesting report to see it from the other end especially with a quick history lesson regarding the bomb.
Keep up the good work :thumb

The Wombat

Mr Wombat
28DL Full Member
Have read many reports on Megatron, and visited myself a few years back, but don't think I've seen this bit before...
An excellent report :thumb, top effort with the dinghy