real time web analytics
Megatron, Sheffield - March 2017 | Yorrick | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Megatron, Sheffield - March 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
As the River Sheaf approaches the centre of Sheffield, it disappears from view under the junction of Queen’s Road and St. Mary’s Road. The main Sheffield Railway Station was built over the Sheaf in the Ponds area, now covered by the Transport Interchange.

The river can be seen for a short distance as it comes out from under the railway station before disappearing underground again to pass the site ofPonds Forge, now a water sports complex, and Park Square.

The Sheaf reappears for the final time at the point where it joins the River Don. It was here that the Sheaf and the Don once formed part of the defences forSheffield Castle.

Well, that was a cracking day! We met under the golden arses, ate some crap, talked some crap and then discovered (Oh Crap) nobody had been before and our “guide” had sacked himself off. We walked to where we knew the water was and after a bit of hmm-ing and aah-ing a map obsessed nerd asserted “No, this is the Porter Brook, that way is North, we need to go East then North”

Thanks to KM_Punk for organising as always and a really big thanks to all those who dropped out.

Seriously, it was hard enough with 6 of us down there. Every other shot got bombed by someone, all part of the fun though :rolleyes:
I chose to shoot film on the way in and digital coming back. My first film didn’t wind on and the second had some other camera issues (this camera has now been retired and the replacement arrived today) so the return was a mix of film and digital and consequently not concentrating on either…. and I’m just making lots of excuses for my lack of skills and shonky pics!

Hey-ho, it’s all part of the fun I guess and a good excuse for doing a revisit.

Also, I am pleased to report that @KM_Punk didn’t fall over in this drain. Possibly need a revisit for that too mate?

Explored with @KM_Punk, @elhomer12, @EOA, @Snake Oil and @Darryl Kinney

A bit of film from the now dead AE-1

And a few from the trusty 350d

IMG_9622.jpg

IMG_9624.jpg

IMG_9629.jpg

IMG_9633.jpg

IMG_9636.jpg

IMG_9643.jpg

IMG_9650.jpg

IMG_9652.jpg

IMG_9653.jpg

IMG_9655.jpg

Attachments

• CNV00001 v2.jpg
    CNV00001 v2.jpg
    444.8 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

Punk

Punkus Explorus
28DL Full Member
What a day this was.
Your film shots have come out well, I quite like the in Black and white :thumb
Cheers for coming along, our meet ups are few and far between these days :(

Also, I am pleased to report that @KM_Punk didn’t fall over in this drain. Possibly need a revisit for that too mate

We had a close call as we entered, think I got it on my gopro. I'll go through the footage later this week.

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
Cracking day out and some amazing pics there - your film images are particularly special, inreallt like those. And very nice to see a raindow tunnel too :)

elhomer12

Maglite size T-rex, It's time for urbex!
28DL Full Member
Nice pics.... Shame about your camera issues, but I wouldn't say they're bad at all :thumb

Yorrick

28DL Full Member

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
I was probably the worst offender for turning everything different colours!

Yorrick

28DL Full Member
I was probably the worst offender for turning everything different colours!
It's all good mate. I think it was more that I'm not used to crowds. There's usually only 2 of us.

Nice set there mate. Can't be easy to photograph in film
Thanks. The settings and lighting aren't that different from digital. It's focusing that old AE1 / 35mm that I struggle with.

Torchlight

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi nice photos, you can spend hours down there so many photo opportunities. Made it to the cathedral arch today but as I waded further got a bit deep did not fancy swamping my waders.Did you get right through to the Don and is there a Weir to get over, from the road the Don looks deep. Any info on last 50 m appreciated but understand if you don, t want to divulge, may have to get some chest waders, thanks

elhomer12

28DL Full Member
Did you get right through to the Don and is there a Weir to get over, from the road the Don looks deep. Any info on last 50 m appreciated but understand if you don, t want to divulge, may have to get some chest waders, thanks

We didn't. It was too deep for thigh waders. In fact I don't recall seeing any photos from the end so it may be too deep and silty for chesties. I don't think there's another weir.

As the depth guinea pig the furthest I got was just inside the last (lower) tunnel section, that was about waist deep, and it certainly wasn't getting shallower :p I've seen other reports/people mentioning a weir, but we didn't get far enough to see really. No point going any further unless you've got a boat since it seems to literally just outfall into the Don.

Yorrick

28DL Full Member
As the depth guinea pig the furthest I got was just inside the last (lower) tunnel section, that was about waist deep,
Yeah thanks for that btw.

In this report from @Ojay he only went as far as you did.

The last post quotes @WB as saying “you’d need a boat to get in that end”. He should know as he’s been down a dozen times or so.

In the last pic in this report from @jazzywheelz it looks like he got further than anyone else and that might be a weir but I’m not sure.

Hopefully one of the above can confirm weir or no weir

elhomer12

28DL Full Member
In the last pic in this report from @jazzywheelz it looks like he got further than anyone else and that might be a weir but I’m not sure.

Hopefully one of the above can confirm weir or no weir

I just whacked up the exposure in photoshop and it definitely looks like a weir

Looks about 2ft high from what I can tell