real time web analytics
Report - - Megatron, Sheffield, September 2015 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Megatron, Sheffield, September 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mr_T

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I love little forgotten homes full of bits, they always have a story. But new found love of tunnels, caves, mines and drains etc took over last year. I've seen so many photos and known about it for years, so was nice to finally tick it off the list. Thanks to Raz for helping with a few bits of information on this.

As I neared my chosen entry, what could I see, yes workman working directly where I needed to be. So of across Sheffield I trotted to find another.

Below Park Hill, the train station and Ponds Forge - three rivers meet in a Victorian-engineered subterranean cathedral, built to protect the city from devastating floods. Built during the 1860s, the brick arched tunnels were an effort to channel Sheffield’s three rivers away from the bustling heart of the city.

There is not a lot to say about the Megatron that has not been said before, a true classic!

21357897825_0a29d0558a_z.jpg

20786172283_f68fd1f5ec_z.jpg

21366210941_bb8dd73751_z.jpg

21357930625_44abed79f0_z.jpg

20736793953_e1d5e87996_z.jpg

21331627216_c068a6df66_z.jpg

21171030629_0f7440055f_z.jpg

21202526378_262787c274_z.jpg

You got to get a selfie at every explore, its the law ;)

Hope my first post was ok and you liked the pictures.

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nicely lit mate :thumb Always enjoy it down here

Don"t think i"ve seen it jumbled up before & you"ve even sneaked a Porter Brook one in as well ;)

Any from the deep end ?

Mr_T

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks, need a re visit here, interesting place. Thought was pretty much all called Megatron to be honest. They was working on the entrance to the deep end ( well on the one entrance i know) this is why another visit is in order mate. What photo's porter brook?

Mr_T

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
If the crappy weather calm downs, ill go try and snap them. I imagine its a bit deep and temperamental down there at minute.

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It's always deep down that end chest waders are essential unless you like swimming. I would imagine there's lots of debris creating deeper flooded sections (than there already was) with all the recent water & crap getting pushed through .

The Porter Brook bit is the curved culvert in your pics which only takes a pallet to create a blockage. And they wonder why it floods so easily in Sheffield ;)

We had the Bat survey people down by the middle section late one night (pre scaffolding) wondering if it would affect them. The Bats are all up the Cathedral Arch end (where the Sheaf discharges unto the River Don) which is by the remains of Castle Market if anyone didn't know? .

I will add that there's roof damage to the reinforced concrete roof section under the old Market which had concrete coming away from the rebars which seems to have increased since the demo work began above it. Which is no surprise with the heavy plant working only metres above it (bet nobody from the Council's checked that)

I've been 4 times and never posted them yet

Will Knot

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Like them pics.... been meaning to get down there for literally years... gonna have too now!! :D