Web
Analytics
Report - - Merefeld Culvert, Leicestershire-July '13 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Merefeld Culvert, Leicestershire-July '13

Punk

Irregular Member
Regular User
I did this last year with The Wombat, when I was between cameras, and I borrowed a shitty camera and didn't have any decent pics. Afterwards, we agreed to return but other places got priority. I got my mrs to drop me off on her way to work at 6:45 am, which she thought I was mad for doing. I was a little concerned about exploring this one after the amount of rain we've had over the last 36 hours but the west portal only had a couple of inches of water so I entered. The eastern portal, however, was over a foot deep. Walking the 3-4 mile walk home was a little uncomfortable.
Merefield Culvert goes under an embankment on the Great Northern Railway south of John O'Gaunt Station and Viaduct and a quarter of a mile from Merefield. The brook flows in at the Eastern Portal, which is one portal then flows out the two western portals with a junction close to the eastern portal. It was built when at Railway was under construction in 1877/78. It has interesting masonry as the sides and floor are brick, but the ceiling is a sandstone like rock.
I enjoyed this explore, a nice quick one, on my own

(1)
DSC_0326.jpg

(2)
DSC_0327.jpg

(3)
DSC_0329.jpg

(4)
DSC_0330.jpg

(5)
DSC_0332.jpg

(6)