Web
Analytics
Report - - Merrivale Quarry - Then and Now | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Merrivale Quarry - Then and Now

EstragonHelmer

28DL Member
28DL Member
Merrivale Quarry was the first derelict/abandoned place I ever photographed, so although it wasn't much even when I first went, it was nice to go back again. Today, I was out taking photos on a cross-Dartmoor trip, including going back to Merrivale Quarry.

I use these forums a lot to find new places to photograph that I'd not known about, but a lot of the reports are so old now that places listed can be completely gone. I thought for other newcomers it might be worthwhile to give an update on the older reports from here.

For reference, photos from my first visit a few years ago (2015? 2014 maybe?) can be seen here: Merrivale Quarry

And here's a little comparison between how it was then, and how it looks now. It's completely gutted!

When I first visited, a lot had already gone. I know from the reports that first led me there, that it used to have a crane. But now, it's just shells of most of the buildings, and a load of the cool electrical stuff and other equipment have been removed.

As soon as I saw the missing walls on the barns, I walked up around the top to see an overview of the place.

There's some new graffiti since I last saw it. Mainly just some big tags, but I quite like the 'be yourself' one. ^.^

And then the nice new shiny red signs. These definitely weren't there before!

And there's still a couple of bits and pieces left around that haven't been removed, but nowhere near as many as when I first visited.

So there we have it in all its (former) glory. It's kinda sad for me, as it was the first place I ever explored and photographed. Hopefully this update might help someone not to make a wasted trip based on out of date reports.