Web
Analytics
Report - - Merseyside Food Supplies (Liverpool, Sept, 2017) | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Merseyside Food Supplies (Liverpool, Sept, 2017)

urbanchemist

28DL Regular User
Regular User
This place was one the first explores I did after arriving in Liverpool, at least 15 years ago. It was, and still is, a total wreck but fun to poke around in with sets of stairs, little rooms, a roof etc. The site is fairly large and now quite overgrown, sandwiched between Veolia oils to the north and the engine works building along Brunswick place to the south. Across the road is another old favourite, United Mersey Supplies (the one with castellations), which is still accessible despite some recent welding-up.

e0_sattelite.jpg

Comparing the 2010 reports from kevsy21 and georgie with what I remember, very little has changed - and judging by the lack of footprints in the dust it seems people seldom visit. The easiest access is round the back, through several cathedrals of waste:

e1_IMG_8869_entrance1.jpg

e2_IMG_8873_entrance2.jpg

e3_IMG_8895_entrance3.jpg

..into a burn-out shed with offices on the road side

e4.0_IMG_9089_iron.jpg

e4.1_IMG_8936_stilts.jpg

e4.2_IMG_9058_skip.jpg

e4.3_IMG_8923_graffiti_cropped.jpg

e4.4_IMG_9051_greenstairs.jpg

e5.1_IMG_9018_oven.jpg

My favourite - an open-air lab with weathered wooden fittings and vegetation

e5_IMG_9001_lab.jpg

e6_IMG_8948_engines.jpg

Stalactites and stalacmites

e6.1_IMG_8960_stactites_cropped.jpg

e8_IMG_8989_insulationroom.jpg

e7_IMG_8955_drums.jpg

e8.1_IMG_9023_safe.jpg

e9_IMG_8966_roof.jpg

e18_IMG_9072_walkways.jpg

e19_IMG_9087_machine.jpg

Responsible warning - there is at least one dangerous-looking wall and some rotten floors - maybe not such a good idea to do this one solo.

dave

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Was here last week and was going to have a look at this but ran out of time i did wander into that old car parts garage place next door didnt bother with any internal pics. Wishing i had gone in where you went looks better than the car parts warehouse, yes good work enjoyed your report.

urbanchemist

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Thanks, I also checked out the car parts place as a route into the corner warehouse ('engine shed' just visible on the Regent road face ). Couldn't get further than the first floor however - view down into the car parts courtyard:
8_IMG_9431_courtyard.jpg

cratedigger

28DL Member
28DL Member
From 1986 until 1989 I was company microbiologist at this site. The sets of broken windows at the front of the building on the first floor were the laboratories.
The main photograph shows the chemistry laboratory, my microbiology laboratory was next door.
The larger windows to the left provided light to a large open plan reception / office area. Within the factory, the main area had various packing machines for margarines, from 250g paper wrapped packets to 2 Kg catering packs. A second packing area contained a machine that produced tinned margarine for the M.o.D. who supplied it to the Army overseas. It felt very strange to see photographs of a place I have not been in for nearly 30 years !

urbanchemist

28DL Regular User
Regular User
From 1986 until 1989 I was company microbiologist at this site. The sets of broken windows at the front of the building on the first floor were the laboratories.
The main photograph shows the chemistry laboratory, my microbiology laboratory was next door.
The larger windows to the left provided light to a large open plan reception / office area. Within the factory, the main area had various packing machines for margarines, from 250g paper wrapped packets to 2 Kg catering packs. A second packing area contained a machine that produced tinned margarine for the M.o.D. who supplied it to the Army overseas. It felt very strange to see photographs of a place I have not been in for nearly 30 years !
Thanks for the information - I had no idea this place was a marg factory! I suppose the labs must have been for quality control if the stuff was actually made there by blending oils, fats etc. If you are local you could always pop in yourself I suppose. Incidentally, any idea what went on in the warehouse next door on the corner? The one that says 'engine works' on the front.

Steve Crick

28DL Member
28DL Member
I worked at Merseyside foods from 1968 to 1980. I started in Cost Office and ended up as Production planner . I enjoyed working there and made a lot of good friends. The plant was run down when Leo Gurwitsch who started it retired . Union International brought in some non oil men including A Roy Griffin and Ian Burnett , the latter a meat man who had not got a clue how to run a site! . It should have been expanded and gone on 7 day refining . I moved to Leon Frenkel in Kent , and became Production and Engineering Director then British Arkady in Trafford , where I was Site manager and ended my career as General manager of Trafford Edible Oil Refiners , the biggest Repeater refinery for bulk oils in Europe . I remember many past employees of MFP including the three Mary's , Mary Williamson , Mary Egan and Mary Davis . I still see Eddie Burton in the Strand , he was a brilliant refinery supervisor . I still have the drawings of the factory. We supplied all the major supermarkets of the time. I am now retired and live "back home" in Formby .