real time web analytics
Report - - Merstham Chaldon quarry/mines - Surrey - Dec 2017 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Merstham Chaldon quarry/mines - Surrey - Dec 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

vegan420

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hey so I finally got myself down to the area as I'd never been there before, after going down the first smallest pit closest to the junction I came across more of a tipping spot than an old mine entrance it even had asbestos there so not recommended.

So we moved to the second pit named bedlams bank, after finding the locked west wcms entrance we decided to move on.

We walked into another wooded section where here we discovered what looked to be like a recent collapse/dig

So we decided to descend and within minutes we was in, first was a short crawl about a few meters. This is a picture that was shot back towards the entrance.
IMG_2257.JPG

Once in there was two ways to go either straight toward the road or east towards bedlams, on the wall was the initials of the last people to reopen the mine with the dates 28-2-16 seen here in this picture
IMG_2260.JPG

Just out of frame to the right was the initials of the last people before that to re-open the mine and if I remember correctly it said the year 1988.

Also seen is two arrows the one facing south said collapse and the other facing east said 200ft.

For some reason there was a tent down there we didn't check what was in there as you had to crawl around the collapse to get there, we pushed further east to only head back as we had no supplies or anything to help us navigate.

That's the collapse crawl
IMG_2261.JPG

That's the room with the tent

IMG_2256.JPG

IMG_2251.JPG

After speaking with a few members from here they have advised me not to go back down there as it's dangerous.

I headed down to this place because two people I personally know said they had been down there 30 years ago as kids and they use to go to the underground lake all the time, after a little reading it seems that that part of the mines have been lost along time ago. But it is something I would love to find.

This is my first ever report so bare with me, thank you for reading. Veg

Attachments

• IMG_2263.JPG
    IMG_2263.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2262.JPG
    IMG_2262.JPG
    166.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
the 'underground lake' sounds more like some local legend than something that exists. You were wise to not go in far if uncertain of finding the way out again, its not a good experience being lost in a mine.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
To be fair, it does look sketchy as f*** . I love seeing mines. Yet to do a non permission one. Keep it up, and stay safe

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
the 'underground lake' sounds more like some local legend than something that exists. You were wise to not go in far if uncertain of finding the way out again, its not a good experience being lost in a mine.

Perhaps they where referring to this, in the very close area of where this chap was.. sorry to bring up an old post but i was on google looking something up in the area and this thread popped up

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Perhaps they where referring to this, in the very close area of where this chap was.. sorry to bring up an old post but i was on google looking something up in the area and this thread popped up
Ive always loved this photo! its one of my favs from a mine