real time web analytics
Report - - Metro Systems - Berlin, Sofia, Bucharest and Prague - Summer 2014 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Metro Systems - Berlin, Sofia, Bucharest and Prague - Summer 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

bhg

In Search of Lost Time
Regular User
I was busy this summer. First I visited Berlin - one of the most amazing cities in Europe... Then spent 4 days traveling from Sofia to Bucharest and then to Prague.
Short story and pictures here:

Berlin U-Bahn

Berlin is one of my favorite cities in Europe. I used to visit it quite often in the past, but never tried to explore metro there. This time I had 10 hours between planes, met up with some friends and well we had an amazing night...

Some info:
The Berlin U-Bahn (from "Untergrundbahn", meaning "underground railway") is a rapid transit railway in Berlin, the capital city of Germany, and is a major part of the public transport system of the city. Opened in 1902, the U-Bahn serves 170 stations spread across ten lines, with a total track length of 151.7 kilometres (94.3 mi), about 80% of which is underground. Trains run every two to five minutes during peak hours, every five minutes for the rest of the day and every ten minutes in the evening. Over the course of a year, U-Bahn trains travel 132 million km (82.0 million mi), and carry over 400 million passengers. In 2012, 507.3 million passengers rode the U-Bahn.

Pics:

IMG_6757a_zps58378da7.jpg

Софийско метро - Sofia Metropolitan

I had a really good summer holidays this year - sunbathing and exploring. Sofia was the first city I visited during my metro trip. Being on my own only added more adrenaline to this unforgettable experience...

Some info:
The Sofia Metropolitan (Bulgarian: Софийско метро, translit. Sofiysko metro) is the rapid transit network servicing the Bulgarian capital city Sofia. It began operation on January 28, 1998. As of 31 August 2012, the Sofia Metro consisted of two interconnected lines, serving 27 stations, with a total route length of 31 kilometres (19 mi) being the 34th most extensive European metro system behind Amsterdam Metro and ahead of Budapest metro. The Metro links the highly populated districts of Lyulin – Mladost (Line 1 – Red) and Nadezhda – Lozenets (Line 2 – Blue).

Pics:

IMG_6969a_zpsc47fdbd0.jpg
Metroul București

Next stop - Bucharest and again just one night there. Strangely Bucharest metro system is not very popular with explorers. I couldn't find many pictures of the tunnels online during my research. And it's one of the best systems I've ever seen. Totally different to most of the Eastern European systems, although built in the same time like most of them. Its all about really wide tunnels and old Romanian trains... Amazing.

Some info:
The Bucharest Metro (Romanian: Metroul București) is a rapid transit system that serves the capital of Romania, Bucharest. It first opened for service on 19 November 1979. The network is run by Metrorex. It is one of the most accessed systems of the Bucharest public transport network, with an average of approximately 600,000 passenger trips per weekday.In total, the network is 69.25 kilometres (43.0 mi) long and has 51 stations.

Some pics:

IMG_6972a_zps1ba8c23e.jpg

Prague Metro

And finally - Prague. I was already exhausted after not sleeping for two nights and traveling from place to place. I met up with one of my friends, and again spent whole night admiring another metro system...

Some info:
The Prague Metro is the rapid transit network of Prague, Czech Republic. Founded in 1974, the Prague Metro now comprises three lines, serving 57 stations, and consists of a transit network 57.4 kilometres (35.7 mi) long. It served 589.2 million passengers in 2012 (up from 530.5 million passengers in 2011), making it the fifth busiest metro system in Europe and the most used in the world on a per capita basis.

A few shots:

IMG_6993a_zpsaae14b23.jpg

I chose pictures randomly - lines/ stations etc. Some taken by phone.
Four nights and four different metro systems. I love it.
More pics (overground trains etc ) and a full story on my blog.

Enjoy...

Last edited:

Adders

living in a cold world
Regular User
4 hit KO by BHG! That's impressive stuff! Almost sounds like a new charity adventure, 4 metros in 4 days.

drhowser

Bespectacled & irrelevant
Regular User
About time too! :p: It looks as good as it sounded.

None of the freight surfing?

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
looks like you had an awesome time and you got some wicked shots too which is never easy after a lack of sleep and 4 days of travel. :thumb

soylent green

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Excellent report BHG, its good to see some new sites,pics are great ,even the phone ones look cool. I suppose you need another holiday to recover:)

bhg

In Search of Lost Time
Regular User
About time too! :p: It looks as good as it sounded.

None of the freight surfing?

Ha, I haven't sorted out my pics and movie yet! But I am trying my best, give me a two months or maybe more.. :)