real time web analytics
Report - - Mid Wales Hospital Dec 2014 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Mid Wales Hospital Dec 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Trav

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is my first post so I hope I've got everything correct...?(thanks)

Decided to go on an adventure with my new DSLR on Boxing Day. Was in Mid Wales so took a trip to Talgarth Mental Hospital/Asylum. I couldn't get into the main building but was able to enter one of the side buildings.

This large psychiatric hospital closed in 2000 due to a combination of factors including its relative isolation and changes to mental health care in England and Wales. Controversially sold to the resident Chief Medical Officer for just £227,000 The slate alone, that was on the roof, was said to be worth £2,000,000(2million!) which was stripped and sold by its owner.

Also know as The Brecon and Radnor Counties Joint Lunatic Asylum. It was opened on 18th March, 1903, by the Rt Hon. Lord Glanusk who said of it "everything has been done that human ingenuity could devise for the happiness and safety of the inmates, and under the blessing of God, for their speedy restoration to health."

Although the population of the two Welsh counties remained small, by the end of 1925, 455 patients were resident. The asylum was designed to be self-sufficient, and had its own private water, electricity, heating and sewerage systems as well as a considerable agricultural estate. As well as wards, the hospital had a large hall, kitchens, workshops, a tailor, bakery, shoe-maker and printing shops as well as 8 acres of market gardens.

Apart from a short spell as a POW camp, the hospital remained as a 'rehabilitation centre' until its closure. During the 1970's & 80's it began downsizing as more effective treatments and better community care became available. In 1994 the number averaged around 140 and wards began closing gradually.

Outside
03-DSC_0360.jpg

This drainpipe was nearly the highlight of the whole journey
04-DSC_0361.jpg

The tower
11-DSC_0371.jpg

Courtyard
08-DSC_0368.jpg

10-DSC_0370.jpg

It smelt WAY worse than it looked
13-DSC_0373.jpg

14-DSC_0374.jpg

16-DSC_0376.jpg

17-DSC_0378.jpg

18-DSC_0379.jpg

19-DSC_0380.jpg

20-DSC_0381.jpg

21-DSC_0382.jpg

23-DSC_0384-001.jpg

25-DSC_0385.jpg

The cleanest place I found was....
27-DSC_0388.jpg

28-DSC_0389.jpg

30-DSC_0391.jpg

31-DSC_0394.jpg

32-DSC_0395.jpg

01-DSC_0358.jpg

Last edited:

Seffy

SWC
Staff member
Re: Talgarth Mental Hospital Visited 26-12-2014

If you go again, let me know. I'll tell you what I know about getting into the main buildings. It's not too difficult still, AFAIK. The ceiling in the recreation hall must be nearly down on one side by now!

Good work though. This was my 'Christmas explore' for two years running, good times...

Trav

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

I wasn't able to get into the main building, I saw a way in but I was on my own and didn't want to risk dropping down, in case I couldn't get back up. Also security were fast to get there...

I will be going back though, such a nice building to look at. Cheers :)

Janedoe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Great photos. Shame you couldn't get into the main building - looks interesting. Hope you manage it in the future :)

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Pity you didn"t get into the main building, but knowing the reputation of the Key holders? it"s probably best :)

All the same i liked it, especially as a first post. Sharp pics, no Surreal HDR :thumb

Main building next then :)

Seffy

SWC
Staff member

I wasn't able to get into the main building, I saw a way in but I was on my own and didn't want to risk dropping down, in case I couldn't get back up. Also security were fast to get there...

I will be going back though, such a nice building to look at. Cheers :)

Is 'security' still a miserable old sod in a white van with two thugs in a pick up that follow him around?

Trav

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Is 'security' still a miserable old sod in a white van with two thugs in a pick up that follow him around?

Yes, they were parked around my car when I came out. I Just got in my car and started looking through the pics, they drove off after about 2 minutes.

man_gone_wrong

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice shots there mister :)

Wanted to go here for a while now but its a fair old trek from this way. Will hopefully get there before it gets into a worse state

merryprankster

Conrod the Barbarian
Regular User

Got chased off by him last year, we cut across the field and he was stomping up the lane, lost him in te woods and got back to the car to find he'd tyred blocking us in with his van the baststd, took a hundered point Austin powers movanouvir to get out but we managed it, his bloody dog nipped my mates mrs as she was climbing through a window aswell.

Who has read this thread (Total: 1) View details