real time web analytics
Report - - Mid Wales Hospital, Talgarth - Feb 2008 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Mid Wales Hospital, Talgarth - Feb 2008

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
We're going old school. For two reasons - firstly all my reports from before 2011 unfortunately are lost in the void of the ethernet. After talking about it with OT he suggested I put some back up.. I'm going to do this with the asylum/hospital reports because this brings us to the second reason. I'm sure many of you will remember the wonderful county asylums site that Pete C created about 10 years ago. Well for the past 8 months a group of us including Pete himself have been working to bring it not only back online but make it into an even better resource that before. Therefore if you have anything you think will be worth contributing towards what is a mammoth project then drop me a PM/Email.

Here's a sneak preview, naturally of the hospital in question:

ca.png

But enough of that.. back to 2008 when Mid Wales had a roof, lots of stuff chocked inside of it and you could park outside the front door and walk in. It was the first proper asylum I did - discounting Barrow - and got me hooked and turned me into the proper geeky asylum twat I now am.

To this day the original sale of the hospital remains a scandal as does its rapid decline in 2008 when the business park went into administration. Before long it'll be nothing more than rubble.

Visited with Snappel & Sinnerman

The Mid Wales Hospital was a psychiatric hospital in Talgarth, Wales. It opened in 1906 and was formerly known as the Brecon and Radnor Joint Asylum or Mid Wales Counties Mental Hospital. It is in echelon style (narrow arrow)and at its peak could serve 1,000 patients. However, nearer the end of its life, in 1995, this had dwindled to 168. The site was also home to the Mid and West Wales College of Nursing and Midwifery and the Powys Drugs & Alcohol Council for substance misuse.

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

22.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

My whole collection of Mid Wales photos can be found here:

http://www.whateversleft.co.uk/category/asylums/mid-wales-asylum

Session9

A life backwards
28DL Full Member
Wow, what a contrast with what is there now...
Sad that you have lost some if your work mate :(

Seffy

SWC
Staff member
So so good. Looking forward to seeing the finished product on this one mate.

That hall! Always good to see what it once was, which compared to now is such a shame..

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
For it to be like it is only four or five years later is almost a criminal act. What an amazing place!

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
For it to be like it is only four or five years later is almost a criminal act. What an amazing place!

Without a doubt this is one of the most depressing declines of a building for me. The community were desperate to see it be used better even from the original sale in 2001... When the park closed in 2008 the administrators should have been protecting the place and not allowing the previous owners to rape the place of its last valuable items.