real time web analytics
Report - - Mid Wales Hospital, Talgarth - November 2020 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Mid Wales Hospital, Talgarth - November 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

xjb95x

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
First post and first proper explore - hope I do this right.

Went to Mid Wales Hospital, Talgarth(formerly known as Brecon and Radnor Joint Counties Lunatic Asylum) today. We had driven past before but didn’t have the time to stop and have a proper look. From reading other people’s reports I was slighty weary of all the cctv and finger print paint I’d read about but we went undetected having a wonder around the grounds.
There is graffiti and it’s pretty messed up but if you’re local and wondering whether this kind of exploring is for you it’s definitely worth a look.
The history I’ve read and heard about this place makes me really sad for them to knock it down (I hope not any time soon).

History
Opened in 1903 and closed in 1999. From what I’ve read it was made up of the main building, 12 wards, an Isolation hospital and separate accommodation for patients working on the farm. In addition to the farm, the service departments included a tailors shop, a bakery, shoe- maker and later a photography dark room when a photograph of each patient was taken and placed with their respective case notes. It was built at first to house 352 patients. As others, the asylum was designed to be self-sufficient, and had its own private water, electricity, heating and sewerage systems.
In addition a large recreation and dining hall, kitchens and workshops where the patients were encouraged to spend their time profitably!

Seffy

SWC
Staff member
Good on you for getting out there - this one really isn't on the way to anywhere lol. It's also not a bad first report so have some kudos for that :)

There are loads of ways in though - just have to look harder next time! Don't worry about the 'CCTV', that hasn't worked for yeeeears (despite what the 'caretaker' or locals will tell you). There is anti-climb paint (or grease) on the windows that have had the frames removed yes, but even this can be avoided. They'll never win in the fight to properly secure this place anymore - it's just too far gone :(

Glad to see the old girl still getting the attention she deserves though... often forgotten is MWH.

xjb95x

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thank y
Good on you for getting out there - this one really isn't on the way to anywhere lol. It's also not a bad first report so have some kudos for that :)

There are loads of ways in though - just have to look harder next time! Don't worry about the 'CCTV', that hasn't worked for yeeeears (despite what the 'caretaker' or locals will tell you). There is anti-climb paint (or grease) on the windows that have had the frames removed yes, but even this can be avoided. They'll never win in the fight to properly secure this place anymore - it's just too far gone :(

Glad to see the old girl still getting the attention she deserves though... often forgotten is MWH.

Thank you, we had our 3 year old with us so didn’t dare go inside of fear of a collapsing floor under her! Next time we’re going in! Thanks for the info regarding the cctv thats so good to know!

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Nice to see it again, but yeah as Seffy says ignore the CCTV nonsense, there hasn't been any sort of operational CCTV there since the business park folded like 15 years ago.

I'd avoid the boiler room thou, its nasssty in there with blue asbestos but otherwise stick to the lower floors and you'll be fine. To be honest most of the upper floors have all collapsed now.

xjb95x

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice to see it again, but yeah as Seffy says ignore the CCTV nonsense, there hasn't been any sort of operational CCTV there since the business park folded like 15 years ago.

I'd avoid the boiler room thou, its nasssty in there with blue asbestos but otherwise stick to the lower floors and you'll be fine. To be honest most of the upper floors have all collapsed now.

We are pretty close to here so when we don’t have a 3 year old with us we will deffo go into the buildings! Thanks so much for the feedback!

Who has read this thread (Total: 153) View details