real time web analytics
Question - - Middleton mine derbyshire any info? | Mines and Quarries | Page 5 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Middleton mine derbyshire any info?

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Praada

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The big doors at the entrance are alarmed with motion sensors, we went to scope it out the other day and had security on us in less than 5 minutes! If anyone could direct message as to an alternative entrance that would be much appreciated, 3 failed attempts at finding an access point now :(

Did an allnight visit to long rake mine on friday night, very interesting place but had to cut the journey short after a landslide near the rails that hang over a deep drop! Doris must of unsettled the area quite a bit! Also high CO2 in the lower levels!

Will get a report up soon i've only just signed up to this site but will hopefully have a few reports from visits over the last few months!

Last edited by a moderator:

Praada

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
We're going back this week sometime to have a good scope around at distance and maybe approach from the back above the quarry, not going to give up on this one its pretty local so whenever i am in the area i will give it some investigation :)

Punk

Punkus Explorus
28DL Full Member
We're going back this week sometime to have a good scope around at distance and maybe approach from the back above the quarry, not going to give up on this one its pretty local so whenever i am in the area i will give it some investigation :)

I wouldn't advertise when you're going, or what way you're taking. You don't know who's reading this

Praada

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
i know, its a vague enough reply though, 25miles of tunnels and at least a dozen quarries around that area :) if anyone can assist me in though and save me a job please do PM me :)

Delta Horse

28DL Member
28DL Member
Not sure if this has already been posted elsewhere but the reason there's been more activity on-site and stuff like skips full of waste at the mine entrance is because there were apparently plans to reopen the mine itself as a kind of tourist attraction, doing tours down there and even extending the Steeple Grange light railway from its current terminus (down near the rec/cricket pitch) up to the lorry park over the road.
These plans have been abandoned though due to the discovery of very high levels of radon gas which obviously wouldn't be an issue for the tourists (unless they kept going back every week for years!) but could be a major problem for the staff.

I grew up in Middleton, actually within about 300m of the mine entrance, and am back there most weekends visiting family. I've always wanted to go down the mine and am now kicking myself that I didn't try sooner before security was beefed up. Many years ago me and a few mates wandered into the Hopton entrance having found it by chance, but we didn't even have torches on us so we didn't go very far.

If anyone is up for an attempt then please PM me as I'm game for trying and may know of a way in that people from outside the area are unaware of. I used to climb too and have still got some of my kit so wouldn't be bothered by an aerial assault on it if necessary!

Darky2465

28DL Member
28DL Member
Is this mine 100% Shut off now? Is there any entrances left? Thinking about going to have a look around but not sure where to look for entrances any help would be great.

paulpowers

Massive Member
Regular User
Access to sites can change on a daily basis so the only real way to know is to actually go for a look

elhomer12

Maglite size T-rex, It's time for urbex!
28DL Full Member
Is this mine 100% Shut off now? Is there any entrances left? Thinking about going to have a look around but not sure where to look for entrances any help would be great.

Feel free to go and have a look around the quarrys either side but chances are you'll be told to do one by secca after a while. I don't think anyones been into middleton for over a year thanks to the security. We keep hearing that secca are supposed to be leaving the site in the near future, and/or the mine is getting sealed up properly but it's probably all lies.

Praada

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Secca still on site been caught multiple times this year trying to get over the gates, can walk all around the quarries both ends but to get near the entrances you will need to be a ninja!

'Splorin'

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I can confirm access is still possible but difficult and frankly devious. A rope (and knowledge of SRT and faith in dodgy anchors) is definitely required. Long gone are the days of slipping through either door and hooning around on mountain bike though.:(

Angel dust

28DL Member
28DL Member
Me and a few mates have just got into ubexing, and really want to check this place out, if anyone knows any entrances please pm me