real time web analytics
Report - - MidWales Hospital April 2014 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - MidWales Hospital April 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Laurie Dear

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This building was originally called the Brecon and Radnor Joint Counties Lunatic Asylum in Talgarth, Wales. It was opened in 1903 and became a war hospital in 1940 during the second world war. Patients were transferred out of this hospital during that time, but in 1947 it went back to being a civilian used hospital and later became apart of the National Health System in 1948. in 1999 the last ward was closed down and some of the services and facilities were transferred to the near by Bronllys Hospital.

So first report being posted but second derelict building visited. Took some time to scout around the place and find an entrance. Eventually found one and managed to get in and have a good look around. Unfortunately a lot of the ceiling and roofing had falling or caved in when venturing deeper into the buildings. But was a good second visit to an asylum. Hope the pictures are decent...

DSC_5574_zps12474d15.jpg

DSC_0113_zps3a5a0aee.jpg

DSC_0102_zpsc3ae870a.jpg

DSC_0083_zpsa74600e3.jpg

DSC_0080_zpsdff9111d.jpg

DSC_0051_zpse1ec9ec9.jpg

DSC_0043_zpsa73b3ecd.jpg

DSC_5589_zps4d1c8697.jpg

cheers

hope you enjoyed looking

Last edited:

Seffy

Staff member
Nicely done! God the ceiling in that hall isn't going to hold up for much longer, such a shame :(

Glad you managed to get in ok and weren't stopped whilst doing so though :)

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
State of that place. The locals aren't doing this place any favours anymore by rejecting any plans that don't include saving all of the buildings. If they continue much longer all they'll achieve is losing the lot.

Good work LD, access is somewhat more tricky than it used to be!

Laurie Dear

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks guys, appreciate the support! yeah entrance was sort've obvious but not desired. not much in many of the rooms unfortunately. just that one with all the stuff on the floor. rest of it was rotting, collapsed. still, was really enjoyable! been planning the

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Thanks guys, appreciate the support! yeah entrance was sort've obvious but not desired. not much in many of the rooms unfortunately. just that one with all the stuff on the floor. rest of it was rotting, collapsed. still, was really enjoyable! been planning the

There has never been much stuff lying around at Mid Wales, maybe that's why its not so popular but I'd say it's now the most 'intact' asylum left with 95% of its original features. There can't be many left with chapel, mortuary, admin, main hall and all its wards left.

Shocking to see that admin corridor though, shows how bad things have gone in last 4-5 years

DSC_0043_zpsa73b3ecd.jpg

162.jpg

Seffy

Staff member
There has never been much stuff lying around at Mid Wales, maybe that's why its not so popular but I'd say it's now the most 'intact' asylum left with 95% of its original features. There can't be many left with chapel, mortuary, admin, main hall and all its wards left.

Yeah. Given what's here, I'm still surprised that this place doesn't get more attention, compared to some of the places that do!

mattdonut

Like and subscribe
28DL Full Member
good before and after pic tumbles

nice report too i enjoyed visiting mid wales

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
wow, she really is dying. very sad to see, but better seeing nature take it, rather than the bulldozer

Tomw1989

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Shocking to see that admin corridor though, shows how bad things have gone in last 4-5 years

DSC_0043_zpsa73b3ecd.jpg

162.jpg

Wow, that's quite a difference! I visited last year and it was pretty dire to be honest. I would have loved to have visited in it's prime!

What part of the site is the mortuary in? I seem to have missed it :mad

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Mortuary is inbetween admin and the chapel. Small building, not much in it to be honest - it was used as a sandwich/catering company unit during the ill fated business park days!

Tomw1989

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ah I think I went into those buildings, there were a number of business park type buildings over that way. A garage, machine shop etc. Didn't realise it was the morgue though...

Who has read this thread (Total: 6) View details