real time web analytics
Report - - Milford Haven Marina Crane - July 2021 | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Milford Haven Marina Crane - July 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Twisted5576

28DL Member
28DL Member
The History -

Milford Haven has been used by seafarers for thousands of years. Originally used as shelter for viking ships during raids, and later by nobles and kings as a rally point for invasion - usually to attack Ireland ;)

1793 - Sir William Hamilton brought Quaker settlers to the area and formed a whaling station. The whaling proves to be unviable, and in 1800 the town became a Royal Navy Dockyard.

1940s - Around 1000 American troops were housed in Milford Haven, playing a role in the D-Day landings.

1958 - The Port of Milford Haven (Milford Haven Port Authority, MHPA) was established as a statutory entity, they are responsible for navigation and facilities in the harbour and port. They own both of those pieces of land

2015 - MHPA given consent to spend multi-millions developing ~380,000 sq ft of the waterfront area. The development seeks to attract investments from large businesses, with dedicated space for hotels, restaurants, retailers, and leisure

(https://www.milfordwaterfront.co.uk/discover/our-history)

2021 - Work begins on Ty Hotel, with a crane being set up after some of the foundations and structure are made

(https://www.milfordwaterfront.co.uk...otels-a-perfect-partnership-for-pembrokeshire)

The Explore -

My highest to date, the highest thing I'd climbed before this was around 15m. The fences around the site have signs from a security company that display guards with dogs, but no such worries. As far as I could tell there was no security on the site whatsoever. I wasn't really sure what the builders were paying the security company for except a sign, so I entered the site under the impression that there would be no security.

I had checked out the site and explored the skeleton of the hotel a little before they set up the crane. This, combined with my inexperience regarding high climbs, led to me being far more anxious about the climb itself than any security or police showing up. At the bottom of the crane I heard a long beep, and looking in it's direction, I saw a security camera. I figured I was probably spotted at this point, but leaving wouldn't fix it so I went for the climb.

I got to the crane at around 5:10 and climbed the ladder. It didn't take long before I got two thirds up to one of the points where the ladder attached to the crane. I noticed the last length of ladder had a fair bit of play. This and the closed trapdoor meant I stopped there. I stood on the brace, took some photos and got down.

On my way down I heard a car honk. I turned around and, who'd have guessed, the police were on their way with 2 vans and a car. They gave me lecture about safety and private property but eventually let me go with no incident. Hopefully the security company doesn't take me to court lol, oh well.

Some photos of the crane from a different day

Now some from the climb

I had to climb this crane as being in my town it was in my face every day. Overall it was good to get it out of the way, and I got some nice photos, but I would have liked to summit it. Not to worry, the future will bring more opportunities I hope.

This has been my first report, feedback will be appreciated :)

Attachments

• DSC_0121.jpg
    DSC_0121.jpg
    394.1 KB · Views: 35

Twisted5576

28DL Member
28DL Member
Any safety gear? That's a long way to fall... to a certain death at the bottom.
No safety gear. I did have a think about getting a harness etc, but for a couple of reasons I decided not to. It's frankly not something I can afford right now, plus the risk is part of the fun.

Nice 1st report. Great shots, format spot on. Well done & big welcome to 28DL:cool:
Thanks! :)

I had cold sweats just looking at the top-down photo from the brace...
Good to hear, that is the desired effect :D you should check out DyingLlama on youtube if you haven't already and like seeing people high up. If not then maybe not lol

Still good going! All about little steps and that looks like an impressive one
Thank you :) it was a nice opportunity, rare around here. For more I'll have to spread my wings and leave good old Pembrokeshire

Shaun

28DL Regular User
28DL Full Member
Abit different from the cranes I've done. never seen one with a ladder like that, with the crane only being one ladder I imagine that makes it a fair bit harder. Good work and cracking photos!

block maker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The History -

Milford Haven has been used by seafarers for thousands of years. Originally used as shelter for viking ships during raids, and later by nobles and kings as a rally point for invasion - usually to attack Ireland ;)

1793 - Sir William Hamilton brought Quaker settlers to the area and formed a whaling station. The whaling proves to be unviable, and in 1800 the town became a Royal Navy Dockyard.

1940s - Around 1000 American troops were housed in Milford Haven, playing a role in the D-Day landings.

1958 - The Port of Milford Haven (Milford Haven Port Authority, MHPA) was established as a statutory entity, they are responsible for navigation and facilities in the harbour and port. They own both of those pieces of land

2015 - MHPA given consent to spend multi-millions developing ~380,000 sq ft of the waterfront area. The development seeks to attract investments from large businesses, with dedicated space for hotels, restaurants, retailers, and leisure

(https://www.milfordwaterfront.co.uk/discover/our-history)

2021 - Work begins on Ty Hotel, with a crane being set up after some of the foundations and structure are made

(https://www.milfordwaterfront.co.uk...otels-a-perfect-partnership-for-pembrokeshire)

The Explore -

My highest to date, the highest thing I'd climbed before this was around 15m. The fences around the site have signs from a security company that display guards with dogs, but no such worries. As far as I could tell there was no security on the site whatsoever. I wasn't really sure what the builders were paying the security company for except a sign, so I entered the site under the impression that there would be no security.

I had checked out the site and explored the skeleton of the hotel a little before they set up the crane. This, combined with my inexperience regarding high climbs, led to me being far more anxious about the climb itself than any security or police showing up. At the bottom of the crane I heard a long beep, and looking in it's direction, I saw a security camera. I figured I was probably spotted at this point, but leaving wouldn't fix it so I went for the climb.

I got to the crane at around 5:10 and climbed the ladder. It didn't take long before I got two thirds up to one of the points where the ladder attached to the crane. I noticed the last length of ladder had a fair bit of play. This and the closed trapdoor meant I stopped there. I stood on the brace, took some photos and got down.

On my way down I heard a car honk. I turned around and, who'd have guessed, the police were on their way with 2 vans and a car. They gave me lecture about safety and private property but eventually let me go with no incident. Hopefully the security company doesn't take me to court lol, oh well.

Some photos of the crane from a different day

Now some from the climb

I had to climb this crane as being in my town it was in my face every day. Overall it was good to get it out of the way, and I got some nice photos, but I would have liked to summit it. Not to worry, the future will bring more opportunities I hope.

This has been my first report, feedback will be appreciated :)
Some of those photos made me feel a tad sick. No, I don’t do heights even though I used to skydive (yeah I know, it’s different), but hats off to you for having the guts to go up there... I’d have gone up ten rungs, that’s it!
Great pics though.

Who has read this thread (Total: 226) View details