real time web analytics
Report - - Milford Mill, Derbyshire - August 2019 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Milford Mill, Derbyshire - August 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Abandoned-Sheffield

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Wow what an explore this was! The whole site is massive and I spent a good 2 hours+ exploring everything that was on offer here. Although much of the site has taken the tole of time, there are still lots of opportunities for photos and noteworthy things to see.

You can check out all my photos from this explore here on my Flickr.

Background:
Just by the bridge, the buildings across the river are all that remain of the old Milford Mill complex. The buildings on the main road, under the cliff at the eastern end of the bridge, were developed after the enclosure of the common land in 1791. In December 2001, the Derwent Valley Mills in Derbyshire was inscribed on the World Heritage List. This international designation confirms the outstanding importance of the area as the birthplace of the factory system where in the 18th Century water power was successfully harnessed for textile production.

The explore:
Certainly not the easiest of entry points, I found the best way in and it's a good job I am quite an agile person! After seeing a good gap in traffic, which trust me can be difficult at peak times, I made my entry in order to not be seen. There's lots to see on this site and it's a good size to explore.

MilfordMill1.jpg

It looks as though in more recent times some of the buildings have been used as an antiques centre and fireworks shop, although this is long gone now.

MilfordMill20.jpg

MilfordMill26.jpg

Inside the buildings there's an abundance of plant life growing.

MilfordMill28.jpg

Certainly not something you want to see in an abandoned building! I think I'll swiftly move on from seeing this...

MilfordMill29.jpg

MilfordMill34.jpg

Finding something like a typewriter and documentation is always a great added bonus!

MilfordMill44.jpg

MilfordMill47.jpg

MilfordMill53.jpg

Dated Saturday April 2nd 1988, it looks like this has been here for sometime.

MilfordMill71.jpg

If you find the entrance way, it's also possible to have a peak up the large chimney you can see towering from the outside.

MilfordMill76.jpg

MilfordMill77.jpg

It looks like these may have been left here from when one of the buildings was used as an antiques centre, with lots of other antique treasures to be found here.

MilfordMill96.jpg

Stumbling across this tunnel was certainly an unexpected surprise, and it is possible to go a good length into this. Sadly, it's blocked at the end and thus meant an awkward backtracking of footsteps to get out. I'm guessing this was used to transport something from one building to the next beneath them all via the cart rails.

MilfordMill100.jpg

MilfordMill104.jpg

Who has read this thread (Total: 159) View details