real time web analytics
Report - - Milford Mill, Derbyshire, July 2015 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Milford Mill, Derbyshire, July 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

ZerO81

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Milford Mill, Derbyshire

History

Milford was named for its river-crossing, on an ancient route from Derby to the Peak district. The power of the Derwent was used from medieval times to run a corn-mill, dying and fulling mills, and iron and scythe forges. Jedediah Strutt, a farmer turned hosier, recognised the potential of the site. Inventor of the Derby rib machine, Strutt owned a Derby silk mill, and had set up cotton mills in Belper.

In 1781, he bought land in Milford to build a cotton spinning mill. It was one of a series of textile milles constructed on the Derwent between Matlock and Derby during the Industrial Revolution.
These pioneering developments, which included the creation of new communities to house and cater for the workforce they required, are now recognises as being of international importance.

The Milford Mill complex eventually included spinning, bleaching and dying mills, as well as foundries, joiners’ workshops, a gas-works and a corn-mill. The Warehouse, constructed in 1793, was an early attempt by William Strutt, Jedediah’s eldest son. To design a fire-proof multi-storey structure. Later, and more successful, attempts at fire-proofing are embodies in the Dyehouse building, near the bridge. Whilst almost all the early mill buildings were demolished in the 1950s and ‘60s, much of the associated industrial housing has survived. Many of these houses were built by the Strutts, from the late 18th century onwards, transforming Milford from a riverside hamlet into a company village. The Strutts also built the school, created several farms to supply produce for their workers, helped establish the village’s various religious and social buildings.

The Visit

Another very late post here, but life has just been busy past few months and this (at the time) turned out to be my last explore in the UK before my move abroad. To be honest, I didn't know much about this place, aside from it had old washing machines in it.

Sometimes the places you don't know about turn out to be better than the places you know loads about and feel disappointed by when you visit. The place is bigger than it seems from the outside, the main building has plenty of rooms and things to see. I would have to admit though, the older mill building on site is quite a let down as it just seems to be some sort of modernised inside tip.

[1]
IMG_27609.jpg

[2] & [3]
IMG_27627.jpg
IMG_27635.jpg

[4] & [5]
IMG_27681.jpg
IMG_27690.jpg

[6] & [7]
IMG_27749.jpg
IMG_27767.jpg

[8]
IMG_27752.jpg

[9]
IMG_27714.jpg

[10] & [11]
IMG_27716.jpg
IMG_27764.jpg

[12]
IMG_27830.jpg

[13]
IMG_27840.jpg

Full Gallery HERE

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Its been covered before. Stopped off there during the summer. Its pretty crap, old mill at the front has been converted into a sort of showroom and this bigger bit at the back is ok but mainly empty apart from the washing machine things... but yeah, don't rush there is my advice.