real time web analytics
Report - - Military base near Å ibenik, Croatia | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Military base near Å ibenik, Croatia

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

^Qwerty^

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It was part of a very big military complex called Minerska. The entire area had been forbidden for civilians ever since the Nazi occupation (probably earlier) and especially so during Yugoslavia as it was an important part of a whole military network in the Å ibenik area. It is possible to walk to all these areas, but I visited by boat. Apparently the place was in use until Croatia abandoned their military service.

They are now trying to develop the whole area in to a tourist attraction, complete with EU funding, so I'm not confident it will stay as is for much longer, i.e. free and easy access.

St. Nicholas Fortress sits a few hundred yards away across the water but I didn't have time to visit, but you could easily lose a day visiting both areas.

It is possible to walk/cycle to both venues, but its much easier by boat :)

Evidence of Nazi occupation was limited to the E-Boat tunnels and maybe some old shore line docking area's which are now nearly filled in.

West Entrance
DSCN0393.jpg

East Entrance
DSCN0395.jpg

Access Tunnel
DSCN0397.jpg

Random Chair Shot (Really...I didn't put it there)
DSCN0399.jpg

Quay Side Crane, photo bombed by my 7 year old son. You can see the railway lines which run to all the bunkers around the complex
DSCN0403.jpg

Landing Quay again, railway lines are covered by the metal sheeting + my landing craft
DSCN0406.jpg

Inside one of the bunkers. The wood work is very impressive and still looks like new. Photobomb son again
DSCN0407.jpg

Not sure what this building was, but the railway lines run out the other side to the quayside. I expect it was some kind of loading building as it was not fortified like the others
DSCN0408.jpg

This area, cut out of rock looks like some kind of boat area, but now filled in and cut off from the sea by the footpath.
DSCN0410.jpg

Entrance to the E-Boat tunnel
DSCN0413.jpg

DSCN0415.jpg

DSCN0417.jpg

DSCN0423.jpg

DSCN0424.jpg

DSCN0425.jpg

More Cold War Era
DSCN0431.jpg

DSCN0437.jpg

DSCN0438.jpg

St. Nicholas Fortress
DSCN0436.jpg

Great place to visit, but I ran out of time.

Rik UE

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
looks like something you would see on a James Bond set, nice docking place for the sub as well :)

^Qwerty^

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
looks like something you would see on a James Bond set, nice docking place for the sub as well :)

You mean something like this?

Sadly I ran out of time, but hope to get back to visit some more sites. The country appears to be littered with military gems :)

1nk4

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I love Croatia, iv been the past 4 years and seen some amazing stuff over there! This place has been added to my list for when im there in september :)