Web
Analytics
Question - - Mini mame arcade | Computers, Websites and Technology | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Mini mame arcade

pirate

Rum Swigger
Regular User
This is probably aimed at @Lord Oort but please chip in if you have any info.

So you may have seen these mini arcade machines with 2000ish arcade games programmed on them for about £600
4BC5028B-B8CD-4FF1-9BF1-45D6072B3F6B.jpeg

Well I’m a tight arse and thought it can’t be that hard......can it ?

I remember years ago downloading a mame emulator for my PC and it was all fairly straightforward

Anyone have any thoughts or a link to somewhere this has all been covered before.

presuming I’ll need some kind of motherboard,storage for the ROMS,monitor,joysticks.
I can build the case myself.

Pirate

Lenston

Bajo Tierra
Regular User
Easier to buy an original xbox and softmod upgrade it with a 2TB hard drive, all the software and games are free to download online.

I have 50,000 games installed on mine across 21 different consoles, 10,000 original arcade games, xbox will only set you back £20 to £30.

This will give you more of an idea

Last edited:

Lenston

Bajo Tierra
Regular User
@Lenston interesting........and I won’t have to buy a monitor which is good just plug into tv
Exactly, all in one place and less space taken up, I know a guy who builds complete systems for around £70 if you are ever in the market for one.

Last edited:

TranKmasT

"You BOY!
Regular User
I used to use NAME emulator for my PC and had 2000 game ROMS split across 2 discs.
It was such a faff( for me anyway)mapping the keys or getting a joystick to work. Some would work, some wouldn’t.
TBH I don’t get retro gaming today, although I loved my old C64, Amiga, PS1, personally the memory and fun endures more than the reality of seeing them now. There’s just no going back.
The excitement I have now is the anticipation of playing Cyberpunk 2077 in a weeks time.
Just hope the cock wombles don’t delay it again.

Last edited:

Lenston

Bajo Tierra
Regular User
I used to use NAME emulator for my PC and had 2000 game ROMS split across 2 discs.
It was such a faff( for me anyway)mapping the keys or getting a joystick to work. Some would work, some wouldn’t.
TBH I don’t get retro gaming today, although I loved my old C64, Amiga, PS1, personally the memory and fun endures more the reality of seeming them now. There’s just no going back.
The excitement I have now is the anticipation of playing Cyberpunk 2077 in a weeks time.
Just hope the cock wombles don’t delay it again.
Emulation has changed over the last few years, its much easier than say 10 years ago, you can play all the old systems through your tv in seconds now with no faff at all. All about the nostalgia isn't it I guess. As good as the new consoles are you cant beat a trip down memory lane :)

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
This is probably aimed at @Lord Oort but please chip in if you have any info.
If you mainly want to play arcade games nothng but a proper arcade stick and buttons will do which means spending a few hundred quid at the very least. if you want cheap and mainly want to play old consoles then its all good.

If you already have an Xbox then do what Lee said, if you have a Pi 3 or above lying around then do what I did.

Final super cheap option is get something like RetroArch for your PC and just bolt on whichever game systems you want. If you need a hand with Rom Packs me and @Lenston can help.

Chuck me a pm if you want to get into any of this in more detail.

pirate

Rum Swigger
Regular User
Yer I think I was looking at a pi3 kit.......thought it may be a good project over Christmas but once you add it all up with joysticks became a little too expensive.

I think a plug into telly controller will be the best option.

I’ll probably get bored pretty quick or realise that the games are pretty shite compared to how I remember them so the cheaper option is probably better.