real time web analytics
Report - - Mini Report - RAF Wellingore - April 2021 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Mini Report - RAF Wellingore - April 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Jimmyjim

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Starting to post a few visits to build up confidence and hopefully start buddying up places with people in Lincolnshire

History

The airfield was originally opened in 1917 as a Royal Naval Air Service station called Wellingore Heath. The airfield reopened in 1935. By the winter of 1939/40, the airfield was fully operational and consisted of two grass runways, a concrete perimeter track and several hangars. It initially operated as a Relief Landing Ground (RLG) for RAF Cranwell before later operating as a satellite station for RAF Digby. Various squadrons equipped with Spitfires, Hurricanes, Blenheims and Beaufighters flew from the station.
The airfield was closed in 1947. (Source Wiki)

Visit
This was a recent vist I did to Wellingore, I went a few years back but recently it's nearly all blocked off by I assume the land owner. Can't get into the main part and they've put pretty substantial barriers in place and it looks like they had builders on site, not sure what they're up to.. It's a shame really, mainly posting the update so people know:

Wellingore-1.jpg

This sign remains just off the road outside the farmers land, I hopped over the fence.

Wellingore-3.jpg

All but one of the bunkers are fully blocked off with Steel doors. Which is a shame.

Wellingore-4.jpg

Wellingore-5.jpg

Wellingore-6.jpg

Wellingore-7.jpg

This bunker can still be accessed but there aint much inside.

Wellingore-8.jpg

Wellingore-9.jpg

Wellingore-10.jpg

Wellingore-11.jpg

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Thank you for starting to post your visits. A few more and Im sure you will find someone on here willing to buddy up and explore with you. Looks like a nice mooch around. The little bunker is still cool, as its a slice of history.

Just remember to stick mth & yr in title bar as it makes the forum unified. Well done, hope to see more :thumb

Jimmyjim

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thank you for starting to post your visits. A few more and Im sure you will find someone on here willing to buddy up and explore with you. Looks like a nice mooch around. The little bunker is still cool, as its a slice of history.

Just remember to stick mth & yr in title bar as it makes the forum unified. Well done, hope to see more :thumb

Edited thanks